cis/trans isomers

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sdb09

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
103959.7.h003522img01.jpg

Can someone please explain to me why both of these molecules above would be trans-isomers. I keep confusing myself when I have to figure out cis/trans isomers on cyclohexane.

I thought they would both be cis and don't understand why they are both trans.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

this one is easy.. they are both pointed differently... if they were both pointed same way [up/up or down/down] they would be cis

try drawing in the hydrogens so it will make more sense to you

I thought they would both be cis and don't understand why they are both trans.

Well, for one they are the exact same molecules (flipped 180), and any substituents that are in the same position (i.e. both equatorial or both axial) must be cis to each other, but they (the methyl groups here) are not, and thus are trans by default.

Ok that makes a bit more sense...though when I tried to apply that to this molecule:

103971.4.h020405.02img01.jpg

It is trans - but I thought that if every other substituent was axial (like above where they are the same) it would be cis??

Members don't see this ad :)
No, if 2 adjacent carbon's have F.G.'s in the equitorial position, they will always be trans to each other.

No, if 2 adjacent carbon's have F.G.'s in the equitorial position, they will always be trans to each other.

Are you talking about the second picture I posted (Compound E)? I'm sorry I'm still confused - there aren't 2 adjacent carbons w/functional groups..they skip a carbon which is why I thought it was trans.