Christmas presents for matriculating DS-1

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JesseBrad3

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, anyone know of any good ideas for presents for soon-to-be dental students? For example, anything that would be useful during dental school or cool to have. Thanks guys!

Members don't see this ad.

i think acceptances are really nice presents, myself; failing that, how about offering to pay a year's tuition? :D

$$$ always make a good present when you have already spent so much to get in.

Members don't see this ad :)
JesseBrad3 said:
Hey guys, anyone know of any good ideas for presents for soon-to-be dental students? For example, anything that would be useful during dental school or cool to have. Thanks guys!
One thing one of my friends gave me, which I thought was really cute was the game "Crocodile Dentist". Its a game where you push down teeth, and whoever makes the crocodile close his mouth loses. Its not very useful, but its a really cute present, which I will defenetly take with me to school.

i prefer to think of it as "congrats on a job well done" present, but either way - electronics are always big with me. i don't know how much you're out to spend, but i bet a pocket PC would come in handy in dental school. or how about a laptop or cell phone if they don't already have one. if you are really out to spend a lot, how about a car? or if you are looking to go on the less expensive side and have access to the school bookstore, i bet a sweatshirt or other gear with "XXXX School of Dentistry" on it would be cool. or maybe a gift certificate to the bookstore for dental books and other stuff.
:idea:

i saw students that were working in labs, practicing there handskills listening to mp3s...so how bout something along that line..ipods.

Yeah ipods are killer. I have to listen to music when I study so I picked up the 20Gig. Paired with grado SR225s its one sweet sound :cool:, although some ety's would sweeten the deal :D

1. a full set of adult human teeth, all ready to be practised on
2. a signed affadavit volunteering the use of one's oral cavity to said D-1 for practise
3. a CD of relaxing background music, composed mainly of soothing drilling noises
:D

JMO, but I wouldn't get a dental student anything even *remotely* related to dentistry. Seriously, if someone were to give me a tooth-related gift I'd be hard-pressed not to introduce their teeth to my fist...

If you insist on going the dental route, there's a book called "The Illustrated History of Dentistry". Yeah, it's kind of geeky so YMMV, but I found it really interesting. It seems to be out of print but you can find used copies online for $50ish.

Another notable publication is "Reality: The Techniques Volume I" (can be purchased for $100+ at realityesthetics.com). It's just a general overview of dental procedures, but the full color photos are awesome. DS1's usually don't get much exposure to clinic so it's nice to flip through the Reality book and remind oneself of all the cool stuff that's on the horizon.

trypmo said:
Acland's DVD Atlas of Human Anatomy

get a life!!! jk :D

If i could pick, i would ask for a cruise to the Caribbean over the Jan break! :thumbup:

Dr.Bear's g/f here... Anymore book titles? (I always get Chris a book for Christmas.. some kind of book and it would be great if this year it could be relevant to dental school) E-mail me any "good books" @ [email protected]
THANKS ALL :)

Dr.Bear said:
Dr.Bear's g/f here... Anymore book titles? (I always get Chris a book for Christmas.. some kind of book and it would be great if this year it could be relevant to dental school) E-mail me any "good books" @ [email protected]

Hey Kristen,

thats very nice of you to ask such thing.. too bad i dont know of any good dental related books, but i was wondering if you have a single sister who would want to get to know another pre-dent! :love:

Comet208 said:
Hey Kristen,

thats very nice of you to ask such thing.. too bad i dont know of any good dental related books, but i was wondering if you have a single sister who would want to get to know another pre-dent! :love:

Haha too funny comet! I do have a single best friend.. but we are located here in NY.. (Long Island)... still interested?? haha!

Dr.Bear said:
Haha too funny comet! I do have a single best friend.. but we are located here in NY.. (Long Island)... still interested?? haha!

sure, that actually works out!! i live in Mass (although school is in STL) and i visit my friends in NYC and LI a lot. In fact, i'll be in NYC in 2 weeks, for 4 days!!

Dr.Bear said:

'Dental Anatomy - Its Relevance to Dentistry' by Julian Woelfel. By far the best book (IMO) for teeth ID.