This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Chippopotamus

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I am in a dilemma trying to choose the research lab I would want to work in. I received an offer from a traditional cancer research lab, where I would be doing things like dissecting mice. The lab has mainly premed undergrads. On the other hand, there is a lab which focuses more on the tech aspect of biology research, like computer models and tools to view the cells. The undergrads are mainly engineering majors.

My question would be, would medical schools (esp research focused) prefer the traditional cancer research lab? I am leaning a bit towards the tech lab's overall atmosphere, but I'm hesitant because I heard through the grape vine that medical schools will look more favorably on medically-related research.

Members don't see this ad.

GO TO THE TECH ONE.
Engineering majors are better and cooler

Reactions: 2 users
I don't think it's true that medical schools look more favorable on "medically related" research, and in any case it sounds like the engineering lab is doing something that benefits medical research. I say go with what you like better!

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hello,

I am in a dilemma trying to choose the research lab I would want to work in. I received an offer from a traditional cancer research lab, where I would be doing things like dissecting mice. The lab has mainly premed undergrads. On the other hand, there is a lab which focuses more on the tech aspect of biology research, like computer models and tools to view the cells. The undergrads are mainly engineering majors.

My question would be, would medical schools (esp research focused) prefer the traditional cancer research lab? I am leaning a bit towards the tech lab's overall atmosphere, but I'm hesitant because I heard through the grape vine that medical schools will look more favorably on medically-related research.
It's a pre-med delusion that we want everything related to Medicine.

Just go and pick whatever is more interesting to you, and/or where you can learn some useful skills in case med schools doesn't work out AND you learn something about the scientific method.

Reactions: 3 users
But +1 for the mice biting. I’ve seen post docs with completely bloody hands and now I have PTSD when I see mice lol.
In all seriousness, consider:
1) lab culture
2) your role
3) lab productivity

Reactions: 1 user
Working with mice bites. Literally. Do the tech one.
But +1 for the mice biting. I’ve seen post docs with completely bloody hands and now I have PTSD when I see mice lol.
In all seriousness, consider:
1) lab culture
2) your role
3) lab productivity

Oh, wait till I tell you about rat bites... And show you a hole in the shape of a triangle on my thumb...

Reactions: 1 users
Oh, wait till I tell you about rat bites... And show you a hole in the shape of a triangle on my thumb...

Oh, I worked with rats. They're a-holes. But tbf, I'd be an ahole too if some random giant came and shot me up with ketamine and ****ed with my insides every week.

Reactions: 1 user
Haha thank you for the replies :) It helped me finalize my decision!