Choosing the right specialty

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

med9999

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,
I am a first year resident. I chose internal medicine not knowing my exact path, just knowing that I did not have passion for surgery or the other residencies. Now as a PGY-1, Ive realized I do not want to be PCP or hospitalist. Also, the specialties I know I do not have interest in are cards, pulm/cc, GI, nephro, rheum, and infectious disease. So out of the ones left: heme/onc, endo, allerg/imm, I have been having a very hard time deciding. I know im just a first year and it takes time to be realize but coming from a small IM program as a DO I want to make sure I have the research and making connections early on.

To be quite honest I feel like I am open to any specialty that will allow me to have a good lifestyle as well as sense of fulfillment and that I am impacting my patient's lives. I have been hearing from a lot of people that endocrine is a "dying off specialty", or heme/onc is "depressing", and allergy/imm "boring", I hear alot of these stigmas when I try to get advice. I feel like I haven't been able to get good advice in choosing my specialty. I would really appreciate if anyone has input or can help,! Thanks so much!

Members don't see this ad.

Nothing beats having a rotation in these subspecialties to see if you like it. Everyone is different in terms what they find boring/exciting. I know in my chosen field of Allergy Immunology, there is a lot of gratification impacting quality of life. You don't get that in many fields. Heme One should not be a field you choose because you did not like other specialties, it can be emotionally demanding. Endo will always be in demand because endocrine disorders are here to stay.

What was your favorite "system" to study in medical school? I find that this often fits with specialty of choice. Speaking from a completely biased Heme/Onc perspective: Make sure you get some outpatient experience if you choose to do a rotation. The inpatient cases are often the worse case scenarios and not a good representation of the specialty. It's an ever evolving field and you'd be hard pressed to find another specialty more fulfilling in terms of impacting lives but again......biased

Members don't see this ad :)
What was your favorite "system" to study in medical school? I find that this often fits with specialty of choice. Speaking from a completely biased Heme/Onc perspective: Make sure you get some outpatient experience if you choose to do a rotation. The inpatient cases are often the worse case scenarios and not a good representation of the specialty. It's an ever evolving field and you'd be hard pressed to find another specialty more fulfilling in terms of impacting lives but again......biased
Thanks for your reply! My favorite system was actually heme/onc. Its so great to hear you say this, as I think on wards I have been seeing the worst case scenarios. I am looking forward to my heme/onc rotation, but with COVID the timing may be impacted. I have heard the field is becoming very competitive, do you think as a DO from community program I would have a chance if I applied very broadly?

Reactions: 1 users
Thanks for your reply! My favorite system was actually heme/onc. Its so great to hear you say this, as I think on wards I have been seeing the worst case scenarios. I am looking forward to my heme/onc rotation, but with COVID the timing may be impacted. I have heard the field is becoming very competitive, do you think as a DO from community program I would have a chance if I applied very broadly?

You definitely have a chance. Fellowships care about program name but board scores, publications, and posters can help tip the scales in your favor a little. If your program has an affiliation with an academic center, try to do an away rotation there if you decide to apply.