Choosing the best undergrad school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sapereamor

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a question regarding medical school admissions preferences.

I am currently in my freshman year at a community college as a chemistry major. I have the choice of either spending three years at the community college and then transfering to the University of California Berkeley, which will involve a daily commute of four hours. Or I can spend three years at the community college and then transfer to the University of California Davis, which involves no commute. Both in general and for my major, Berkeley is a higher ranking school. My question is how much graduating from Berkeley rather then Davis will improve my appeal to medical schools.

I would greatly appreciate any help that anyone can offer on this. Obviously Davis has a higher appeal in some areas for me, but I want to make the best decision.

Much thanks to all.

------------------
Alice

Members don't see this ad.

You will get an excellent education at any of the UC's. People I know that went to Davis rave about it. Your grades will probably be better if you are not stressed out about getting to school. I think your grades are more important than where you went anyway, especially in this case because Davis is a very good school. Another advantage is that Davis has a medical school - so you have a ready resource when you have questions (you'll find that most medical students are more than willing to answer any questions you might have)

Good luck.