Choosing between Monash and Uni of Queensland

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jinhua

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I been offered a place in Monash Uni today for the MBBS.

Currently I have already accepted the offer in Queensland much earlier without knowing about the outcome as to whether I will receive an offer from Monash.

Now I have been asking around my family members and friends whether I should stay at Queensland or should I take up the new offer.

So far both unis have their own supporters and its really hard to gauge and decide, I hope someone can advise me out here if possible.

Thanks in advance

Members don't see this ad.

Some considerations:

- Monash has smaller class sizes

- Melbourne is arguably the better city to live in than Brisbane

- similar international recognition

- Melbourne will be an extra couple of hours flight if you're flying in from the northern hemisphere (a very minor consideration I know..)

You're in an enviable position of having to choose between 2 medical schools.. whichever you choose, you will become a good doctor if you put in the hard work.

If I were you, I'd choose Monash just because I'd rather live in Victoria than Queensland.

I see, thanks for responding. But just to check with you, some of my friends say that Monash has a better medical program than Queensland. And others say that state uni like Queensland would be a better choice.

I do agree that as long as one put one's mind to it we will succeed anywhere.

Any other things I need to take into consideration before making a decision to decide.

Thanks once again

Members don't see this ad :)
I'd say Monash has the better reputation in Australia.

You will still be employable either way though.

I'd personally pick Monash.

Thanks

By the way is there any Queensland and Monash students around? Some feedback from both sides will help greatly =)

Thanks to the above 2 for your input.

If you are going to Monash in Melbourne, go to Monash. Queensland is redneck territory, judging by your username your Asian.

Go with Monash, great uni, livable state.

I had to make a similar choice (Sydney vs. Queensland) and I chose against Queensland because I don't like the direction in which their admissions policies are going. I'm afraid that their international reputation might suffer in the future if they continue to accept students with a 2.7 GPA, a 27 on the MCAT, and no interview.

I had to make a similar choice (Sydney vs. Queensland) and I chose against Queensland because I don't like the direction in which their admissions policies are going. I'm afraid that their international reputation might suffer in the future if they continue to accept students with a 2.7 GPA, a 27 on the MCAT, and no interview.

Agreed. Choose Monash. UQ is turning into a Diploma mill (sadly).

The 'diploma mill' claim about UQ is a pretty serious accusation for a university.

There's no doubting UQ as a world-class institution for education and research.

So I'm just wondering here..

Is it mostly the lowered admission criteria and increased international student numbers that makes you feel that UQ med is turning into a diploma mill? Or is there something else?

Because I don't think student numbers alone is enough to make such a claim. Both Sydney and UNSW have numbers approaching 300 per year. So what's an extra 100 if they can accommodate them?

I've seen the teaching hospitals for UQ, and they're far bigger and more impressive than anything Sydney or UNSW has to offer.

For those who are interested, here are some of my holiday pictures of the UQ teaching hospitals (and yes I did do things other than visit hospitals during visit to Brisbane :) )

101086139.jpg

Royal Brisbane and Women's Hospital (1000 bed hospital)

101086143.jpg

Princess Alexandra Hospital

101086134.jpg

Mater Health Services (public and private)

101086141.jpg

Royal Children's Hospital, Brisbane

Wow, so far the general vote is for Monash.

Is Queensland really that bad? I have spoken to another student who applied to both but she did not get into Queensland but got into Monash and she tried to appeal for Queensland but they said her GPA was too low to be competitive.

Hence would that not make Queensland more strict in their admission criteria for accepting students?

Wow thanks for the pic Ezekiel20, it seems great. Btw are you a year 4 graduate medical student? Cause I have friends taking graduate medical course in Sydney and they are commencing their yr 4 next year. not sure if you know them

The 'diploma mill' claim about UQ is a pretty serious accusation for a university.

There's no doubting UQ as a world-class institution for education and research.

So I'm just wondering here..

Is it mostly the lowered admission criteria and increased international student numbers that makes you feel that UQ med is turning into a diploma mill? Or is there something else?

Because I don't think student numbers alone is enough to make such a claim. Both Sydney and UNSW have numbers approaching 300 per year. So what's an extra 100 if they can accommodate them?

I've seen the teaching hospitals for UQ, and they're far bigger and more impressive than anything Sydney or UNSW has to offer.

Factors that may contribute to UQ's image lowering to that of a "diploma mill": lowered admissions criteria, lack of interview, (I have no problems with admitting international students in general). However, considering their future pairing with the private clinic in the US (see other thread on Oscl clinic) and their creation of a carribean'esc style medical program and HEAVILY marketing it to the yanks.

It just looks like a downward trend in general. :( Which I'm unhappy to see.

Is Queensland really that bad? I have spoken to another student who applied to both but she did not get into Queensland but got into Monash and she tried to appeal for Queensland but they said her GPA was too low to be competitive.

Hence would that not make Queensland more strict in their admission criteria for accepting students?

Wow thanks for the pic Ezekiel20, it seems great. Btw are you a year 4 graduate medical student? Cause I have friends taking graduate medical course in Sydney and they are commencing their yr 4 next year. not sure if you know them

Queensland's international admissions standards have become particularly lax in the last two years; your friend might have applied before that. For somebody's GPA to be "too low to be competitive", it'd have to be about 2.6... as long as your GPA is about 2.67, UQ doesn't even look at it. Their admissions are based purely on your MCAT/GAMSAT score as long as your GPA meets that minimum criteria.

I think that the term "diploma mill" is a bit extreme. People throw the term around on these forums without really understanding what it means. A "diploma mill" is a school that gives out diplomas without properly training you, like Warnborough (Ireland) and St. Theresa's (Caribbean). Essentially, it's a place where you can buy a degree instead of working for it. Queensland's admissions may be getting easier, but their curriculum is still on par with any other world-class institution.

That said, my biggest qualm about Queensland is still their admissions process. I'm concerned that they'll admit too many low-quality students, which will eventually hurt their international reputation (of course, this will happen several years in the future, but it will affect all of UQ's graduates).

Members don't see this ad :)
I think that the term "diploma mill" is a bit extreme. People throw the term around on these forums without really understanding what it means.

Queensland's admissions may be getting easier, but their curriculum is still on par with any other world-class institution.

That said, my biggest qualm about Queensland is still their admissions process. I'm concerned that they'll admit too many low-quality students, which will eventually hurt their international reputation (of course, this will happen several years in the future, but it will affect all of UQ's graduates).

I didn't mean they were a "diploma mill" in the literal sense. However, I too am concerned about the direction UQ is headed recently. They need to curtail this Ochsner clinic thing soon before UQ gets classified as another offshore "island medical school" doctor factory like the Caribbean programs. Yes, you can still learn to be a competent doctor coming out of such a program, but I still don't think this is the right way to go about it. Such a program (unless it is equally accredited in the US by the LCME) will (no question about it) lower the reputation of UQ's med program!

I didn't mean they were a "diploma mill" in the literal sense. However, I too am concerned about the direction UQ is headed recently. They need to curtail this Ochsner clinic thing soon before UQ gets classified as another offshore "island medical school" doctor factory like the Caribbean programs. Yes, you can still learn to be a competent doctor coming out of such a program, but I still don't think this is the right way to go about it. Such a program (unless it is equally accredited in the US by the LCME) will (no question about it) lower the reputation of UQ's med program!

I agree. The Ochsner Clinic news helped reaffirm my confidence in my decision to go to Sydney instead of Queensland.

Thanks

By the way is there any Queensland and Monash students around? Some feedback from both sides will help greatly =)

Thanks to the above 2 for your input.

Hi. I'm an international student studying 3rd year at UQ. I would probably choose Monash over UQ if I could start over again and had the choice.

I don't know too much about the program at Monash so I can't comment on that. However, I haven't been particularly happy with my education at UQ. I have to say, I am very satisfied with the quality of education I have encountered in the clinical years (year 3), but the basic sciences years (year 1 and 2) were pretty poorly organized and delivered. I am taking the USMLE step 1 this year and had to spend a lot of time studying on my own because the UQ curriculum covers some of the subjects very poorly, e.g. biochem, pharm, and microbiology.

You can visit http://www.uqms.org to see more rants about UQ from the current year 1 and year 2 students. Granted, all students complain about things, but the number of rants coming from the current students is pretty impressive.

As some people have commented, QLD can be a redneck country, and it doesn't help that the rural rotation is a compulsory rotation in year 3. I did not like the experience at all. (yes, i'm asian)

You can visit http://www.uqms.org to see more rants about UQ from the current year 1 and year 2 students. Granted, all students complain about things, but the number of rants coming from the current students is pretty impressive.

As some people have commented, QLD can be a redneck country, and it doesn't help that the rural rotation is a compulsory rotation in year 3. I did not like the experience at all. (yes, i'm asian)

That's disappointing really. I very much enjoy biochem and physio. Hopefully they'll recognize it when I start this Jan., but unlikely. I'm not sure if it was meant to be funny but your delivery on your ethnicity made me laugh :) In all seriousness I heard the same about QLD. We'll see how it goes. I did pass up an interview with Monash and Sydney for UQ though.

agreed, i dont really like their admission process for international students. but i heard their gamsat cut-off is pretty high for locals though. long live the international students!!!

Queensland's international admissions standards have become particularly lax in the last two years; your friend might have applied before that. For somebody's GPA to be "too low to be competitive", it'd have to be about 2.6... as long as your GPA is about 2.67, UQ doesn't even look at it. Their admissions are based purely on your MCAT/GAMSAT score as long as your GPA meets that minimum criteria.

Actually she applied this year 2008 with me.

Hi. I'm an international student studying 3rd year at UQ. I would probably choose Monash over UQ if I could start over again and had the choice.

I don't know too much about the program at Monash so I can't comment on that. However, I haven't been particularly happy with my education at UQ. I have to say, I am very satisfied with the quality of education I have encountered in the clinical years (year 3), but the basic sciences years (year 1 and 2) were pretty poorly organized and delivered. I am taking the USMLE step 1 this year and had to spend a lot of time studying on my own because the UQ curriculum covers some of the subjects very poorly, e.g. biochem, pharm, and microbiology.

Hi Pollux, nice to meet you. So maybe as a senior what is your general opinion of the UQ education system as a whole. It seems that it was a struggle for you in the 1st 2 years but things are looking up in the 3rd year now. I heard people complaining about the class sizes for the lessons, is it really that bad?
Suddenly feel very tempted to accept my Monash offer, but then I will have to reply to Queensland about it. But I will have to do my visa, and try to reclaim my deposit from them.

Hmmm, I will check out the link you have provided later, thanks for replying in this thread and sharing your experience =)

And yes I am from Singapore (Asian) in response to the earlier question who someone was asking.=)

Last edited:

Usyd also requires a rural rotation but its usually in Byron Bay, Shoalhaven, or Wollongong. The last place is actually more a suburb of Sydney and has a lot of ethnic migrants.

400 students is way too big, especially for students competing for internships, its going to be difficult to be remembered by your professors in that environment.

Brisbane itself isn't so bad but Northern Queensland has issues.

Actually she applied this year 2008 with me.

UQ has a very low GPA requirement. If she said that her GPA was too low to be competitive there, then I have no idea how to explain it... I got into UQ this year, and my GPA was a weak 2.9. It's possible that she applied too late.

UQ has a very low GPA requirement. If she said that her GPA was too low to be competitive there, then I have no idea how to explain it... I got into UQ this year, and my GPA was a weak 2.9. It's possible that she applied too late.

I see thanks Shan. Thank you for the input. Hopefully I can get some feedback from a Monash student soon, sigh. Oh btw I am not going in as an undergraduate but as a graduate. sorry if there is any confusion

Last edited:
Wow...it's been ages since I've been on this forum!

Hey!

To answer some of the questions that people have raised and to help the OP, here are a few things that I hope can help. I would have to say that as a Year 4 student at UQ, I would have to say that the quality of medical education that I have received has been quite good, then again, I wouldn't know how to objectively compare it to other Australian medical curricula.

To comment on some of the remarks made thus far. First off, international students may find that the amount of basic anatomy, pharmacology, biochemistry and physiology may not necessarily be the same as what you would need to do/go over for the USMLE Step 1, but why should anyone expect it to? You could say the exact same thing for all Australian medical schools, as they are not in the 'business' to create doctors for the American health care system and nor should they be expected to. The layout of the curriculum will definitely be different to that of how it may be done in North America. If you are going to write USMLE Step 1, then you should be expected to supplement your learning with what you will need to know for those exams. Also, for Years 1 and 2, UQ has a concentric style of teaching, so that you will come to each system twice as opposed to learning everything about one particular system in one go. And with the PBL model and tutorial groups of 10, you can be sure to have time in small learning groups. There are both good and bad elements to both teaching styles.

To make the claim that Queensland is redneck territory is a gross generalisation. As a person of Indo-Canadian decent, I've yet to feel uncomfortable or out of place in the past 4 years that I've been here. Then again, this is highly subjective and experiences differ for different people.

As for the rural placement that UQ requires all of its students to do, is actually a fantastic opportunity to hone in on your clinical and procedural skills. If you graduate and work in any Queensland Health hospital, then as a Junior House Officer, you are expected to to at least one rural term/rural relieving term. Some hospitals require interns to go rural (i.e. Mater, Royal Brisbane and Gold Coast). I am aware that this is the same for many of the other State's health systems.

The School of Medicine (in line with the rest of the university's goals of internationalisation) is trying to make UQ Australia's first 'global medical school'. Currently students in 1st and 4th year are able to do their elective overseas (or elsewhere within Australia). Also, UQ has a long-standing relationship with Brunei Department of Health such that UQ students have been able to do some of their Year 3 and 4 rotations there (which I did last year - and was an absolute fantastic experience!). There are also opportunities to do medical and surgical specialties rotation overseas, which the site(s) need to be approved by the School of Medicine (usually a formality).

More and more international students (mainly from Canada and the US), not only from UQ but all across the country, are expressing their concern about the perceived lack of future intern positions and as such are looking for ways of getting back to Canada and the US (just for interest sake: every single international student at UQ's 2008 graduating cohort was offered an internship position in Australia). The idea behind setting up the UQ-Ochsner link is to provide students with a more international focus on their degree and the opportunity for students to receive clinical experience in North America, which is a much needed boost in the application for North American residency programmes. The School of Medicine is looking at creating partnerships with the Northern Ontario School of Medicine and University of British Columbia. I know that the option of doing some of your core rotations at Ochsner is available to both domestic and international students. Yes, I do think that UQ needs to be careful in terms of making sure that it does not overextend itself. However, at the same time, I commend UQ for making subtle changes over the past years to not only accommodate what international (and domestic) students would like but also the university-at-large.

I know that I originally chose UQ over USyd and Flinders because of the opportunities for international experiences, the concentric style of teaching, lower costs of living (compared to Sydney), exciting urban life (definitely not the same as Sydney but much more than Adelaide) and the fact that Brisbane is located within the sub-tropical band within Australia.

As for the decision between Monash and UQ, perhaps you need to look at what exactly you would like to get out of the programme, apart from being a competent doctor and all. I know of others that have generated a "Pros & Cons" list, which includes things about the medical programme, the university as a whole, the city (lifestyle, cost of living, travel, accessibility of services as a student, etc) and other parameters that you feel would be crucial in choosing a university. I'm sure that in the end, the decision between Monash and UQ will be the right one for you.

i would say go to monash: monash must be famous in southeast Asian countries like Malaysia and Singapore coz they have a campus in Malaysia also offering MBBS program (hence you would expect tons of "Monash" MBBS graduates practicing in malysia lol). and i would wonder how many ppl in southeast Asia actually ever heard of UQ.

Although I will graduate from UQ, I would say Monash.

Although I will graduate from UQ, I would say Monash.

Ok, but is it possible to explain why you think Monash is better although you are currently in UQ?

Thanks

Wow...it's been ages since I've been on this forum!

Hey!

To answer some of the questions that people have raised and to help the OP, here are a few things that I hope can help. I would have to say that as a Year 4 student at UQ, I would have to say that the quality of medical education that I have received has been quite good, then again, I wouldn't know how to objectively compare it to other Australian medical curricula.

To comment on some of the remarks made thus far. First off, international students may find that the amount of basic anatomy, pharmacology, biochemistry and physiology may not necessarily be the same as what you would need to do/go over for the USMLE Step 1, but why should anyone expect it to? You could say the exact same thing for all Australian medical schools, as they are not in the 'business' to create doctors for the American health care system and nor should they be expected to. The layout of the curriculum will definitely be different to that of how it may be done in North America. If you are going to write USMLE Step 1, then you should be expected to supplement your learning with what you will need to know for those exams. Also, for Years 1 and 2, UQ has a concentric style of teaching, so that you will come to each system twice as opposed to learning everything about one particular system in one go. And with the PBL model and tutorial groups of 10, you can be sure to have time in small learning groups. There are both good and bad elements to both teaching styles.

To make the claim that Queensland is redneck territory is a gross generalisation. As a person of Indo-Canadian decent, I've yet to feel uncomfortable or out of place in the past 4 years that I've been here. Then again, this is highly subjective and experiences differ for different people.

As for the rural placement that UQ requires all of its students to do, is actually a fantastic opportunity to hone in on your clinical and procedural skills. If you graduate and work in any Queensland Health hospital, then as a Junior House Officer, you are expected to to at least one rural term/rural relieving term. Some hospitals require interns to go rural (i.e. Mater, Royal Brisbane and Gold Coast). I am aware that this is the same for many of the other State's health systems.

The School of Medicine (in line with the rest of the university's goals of internationalisation) is trying to make UQ Australia's first 'global medical school'. Currently students in 1st and 4th year are able to do their elective overseas (or elsewhere within Australia). Also, UQ has a long-standing relationship with Brunei Department of Health such that UQ students have been able to do some of their Year 3 and 4 rotations there (which I did last year - and was an absolute fantastic experience!). There are also opportunities to do medical and surgical specialties rotation overseas, which the site(s) need to be approved by the School of Medicine (usually a formality).

More and more international students (mainly from Canada and the US), not only from UQ but all across the country, are expressing their concern about the perceived lack of future intern positions and as such are looking for ways of getting back to Canada and the US (just for interest sake: every single international student at UQ's 2008 graduating cohort was offered an internship position in Australia). The idea behind setting up the UQ-Ochsner link is to provide students with a more international focus on their degree and the opportunity for students to receive clinical experience in North America, which is a much needed boost in the application for North American residency programmes. The School of Medicine is looking at creating partnerships with the Northern Ontario School of Medicine and University of British Columbia. I know that the option of doing some of your core rotations at Ochsner is available to both domestic and international students. Yes, I do think that UQ needs to be careful in terms of making sure that it does not overextend itself. However, at the same time, I commend UQ for making subtle changes over the past years to not only accommodate what international (and domestic) students would like but also the university-at-large.

I know that I originally chose UQ over USyd and Flinders because of the opportunities for international experiences, the concentric style of teaching, lower costs of living (compared to Sydney), exciting urban life (definitely not the same as Sydney but much more than Adelaide) and the fact that Brisbane is located within the sub-tropical band within Australia.

As for the decision between Monash and UQ, perhaps you need to look at what exactly you would like to get out of the programme, apart from being a competent doctor and all. I know of others that have generated a "Pros & Cons" list, which includes things about the medical programme, the university as a whole, the city (lifestyle, cost of living, travel, accessibility of services as a student, etc) and other parameters that you feel would be crucial in choosing a university. I'm sure that in the end, the decision between Monash and UQ will be the right one for you.

Wow, thanks for the input on this. Well I guess you are right in the ending statement, maybe either of them would be good for me, but its kind of scary seeing that so many people are really against UQ. One thing that is still holding me off from going Monash is that the campus will be at Gippsland campus which I have no idea what amenities and rentals they have there. =)

If you got into Monash Gippsland, I would say UQ is the better school. I thought you were accepted to Monash in Melbourne. Gippsland is a regional town. Brisbane is actually a fairly large city but is small compared to Sydney and Melbourne. I am very wary of new programs versus established programs that have been around for years. ANU is the most solid of the newer schools in my opinion, especially since they have the Curtin research school.

Queensland is not that bad with regards to multiculturalism. The only negative to QLD is that the pace of life here is slow.

Reactions: 1 user
Sydney is a lot more fun, there is a ton of stuff to do. I think women in Sydney are hotter or maybe they tend to congregate in one place a lot more, my tongue went out of my mouth hanging out near the pubs in Darlinghurst street in King's Cross, no these were regular women out to party, not the ladies of the night. Melbourne also has its moments but Sydney is better overall, the weather in Melb is murky.

In Brisbane, on the weekends the city is pretty empty, the place to have fun is the Gold Coast, my first year, I had no car, so that meant boring weekends. Sydney has more going for it, and a lot of it is very accessible. A few people will argue with me about this one, but I thought Sydney women were a lot easier than those in QLD, maybe its the sun, I have no idea.

Sydney is a lot more fun, there is a ton of stuff to do. I think women in Sydney are hotter or maybe they tend to congregate in one place a lot more, my tongue went out of my mouth hanging out near the pubs in Darlinghurst street in King's Cross, no these were regular women out to party, not the ladies of the night. Melbourne also has its moments but Sydney is better overall, the weather in Melb is murky.

In Brisbane, on the weekends the city is pretty empty, the place to have fun is the Gold Coast, my first year, I had no car, so that meant boring weekends. Sydney has more going for it, and a lot of it is very accessible. A few people will argue with me about this one, but I thought Sydney women were a lot easier than those in QLD, maybe its the sun, I have no idea.

And you know you should be making a major life decision based on some random guys impression of where you will or won't get laid.

Reactions: 1 user
Actually in QLD there is a lot of sex going on between staff in the hospitals, there is a nearly 2 to 1 woman to male ratio in the medical school. Its just that Sydney has a ton of variety, large numbers of immigrants from overseas, and lots of tourists.

But seriously, Brisbane has the amenities of most modern cities. Gippsland is a bit out in the sticks. In another 10 to 15 years, with rate of migration and real estate development Brisbane will be almost as big as Sydney. Its the fastest growing city in the country.

Anyway if you are planning to work in Australia, all the MBBS courses are about equal.

And you know you should be making a major life decision based on some random guys impression of where you will or won't get laid.

HAHAHA, it's just something that a dude needs to factor in okay. Had I known this maybe I would have applied to Usyd. HAHAHA half joking.

Thanks everyone for your input up till now. will make a decision tomorrow or mon. =)

Just one question JoeNamaMD, how do you find the lessons for the first 2 years, is it really as disorganised and poorly executed as claimed by some uq students? thanks

Last edited: