Choice: University of the Pacific or SFSU?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drum4Him

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
My son was admitted to both University of the Pacific in Stockton, CA and San Francisco State University. Does anyone have advice on which to choose? I should add that my son has been admitted to the SFSU program, but would have to raise his GPA to be admitted to the pre-PT program at UOP.

It seems UOP is more rigorous, and offers it's own 2 year DPT degree. SF State offers in partnership with UCSF, an MS and DPT.

Thanks,

Rich

Members don't see this ad.

2 year? so how many years will it be total. Does he still have to get an undergrad degree?

Yes, in both cases an undergrad degree is required. My current thoughts are that although UOP is more rigorous and is regarded higher academically, I'm not sure of their graduate program. SFSU's graduate program partners with UCSF, which has a well known medical center.

We will be visiting UOP this weekend (4/14), so if anyone has some good questions I could ask, it would be appreciated.

d4H :D

Members don't see this ad :)
I would always bias toward the cheaper school (UCSF/SFSU). Especially considering the potential debt load at a private university.

Either institution will provide you with the requisite knowledge from which to become a good clinician.

ask the percentage of students who pass the boards on the first try, if it's close cheaper school wins. when looking for a job no one cares what school you went to or where you rotated, they care if you have a state license and are ready to work.

-J

Thanks DOctorJay!

Great question. If I can get that "first try" figure from the respective schools, that will weigh significantly on our decision.

d4H

Although uop (which I've been told stands for "u owe plenty") costs more that UCSF, you also have to factor in living in stockton/lodi as compared to living in the bay area. Check out the cost of living in the areas. If he has a place to stay in the bay area, then I would go for UCSF.

I recently turned down uop because of the price. I decided to go with a state school's cheaper MPT program.

I just graduated from UOP's DPT program this past year, we finished in September. I know that the class before me had 100% pass rate on the first try. As for my class, I haven't heard of anyone not passing yet and only a couple of us haven't taken the NPTE yet. They showed us the statistics on our very first day and I think we have around a 90% passing rate, which is about 1-2 out of the class of around 30-35 not passing on their first try. If you have any other questions about the program feel free to PM me.

I would say go with SFSU because of the major difference in tuition between UOP. SAVE MONEY!!!!

I would recommend SFSU. I'm pretty sure the program is part of the UCSF med school so you should get a DPT and not an MPT (In California, there is a stupid law that prevents Cal State Universities from offering Doctoral degrees - even if the University of California schools don't offer the degree.) Right now, I believe SFSU is the ONLY state school to offer the DPT in California.

SFSU does offer a DPT, however it's not accredited.

Where did you hear that from? I'm pretty sure it is accredited

I read that CSU Fresno is also working with UCSF now. I would assume that UCSF is an accredited program or in the process of accreditation. Their school is quite large and established so I wouldn't see a reason why it wouldn't be.

I got it exactly from the link nwfuturept posted.

You are right. I didn't really read the whole thing through the first time. Under the "Degree Conferred" section it states:

" The DPT program is not accredited by CAPTE."

I guess you would just attend SFSU for your MPT and get your license and then you can do a TDPT somewhere that is accredited. As long as you can practice that is all that matters.