choice of schools? pls comment!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ami1983

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
can someone comment on my MDApplicant page about my choice of schools? i'm thinking i might have been a little too restrictive and i should apply to some more 'safety' schools- please give advice!

thanks!! :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

Not familiar with a number of the schools, suggestions are:

1) ditch washington, unless you're a WA resident or have ties there, per MSAR I believe less than 5% of matriculants are from outside that immediate area

2) if you're looking chicago area schools, NW & U Chicago are the toughest ones, my read is that NW particularly is pretty numbers driven, given their averages in MSAR. Given they're both pretty urban, I presume that's the environment you're looking for? If so, may want to check out Rush. If suburban Chicago's OK, take a look at rosalind franklin & loyola.

I've read good things about St. Louis University too, Temple maybe?

UWash is a cheap secondary ($35 last year), and not entirely pointless for you, but without WWAMI residency, it's unlikely even as URM. (WWAMI: WA WY AK MT ID)

Members don't see this ad :)

Last edited:
I should have said that I want OOS safeties... i'm sure i'll get in somewhere in Tx, esp. since I work at one of the med schools :)

and yes, I'm trying to stay in an urban area, my boyfriend is moving with me. thanks for the input so far!

Don't be sure!!! Undo, undo!!! Don't be sure you're getting in or you're doomed...

ok, im unsure, very unsure!! i take it back:idea:

If you're looking larger cities, check out all the schools in Philadelphia; don't recall all the names offhand. If midsized cities are being considered also, Case (in Cleveland) may be a thought, although it's a bit pricey, how about George Washington & Georgetown in DC? I think OSU is north of Columbus in more a suburban area, but both Cleveland & Columbus are far smaller than San Francisco/NYC/Chicago.

Size of city is important to me, I found a web source that listed population by MSA (Metropolitan Statistical Area) and put this into my decision analysis as to which schools to consider, that might be a thought.

if you're looking chicago area schools, NW & U Chicago are the toughest ones, my read is that NW particularly is pretty numbers driven, given their averages in MSAR. Given they're both pretty urban, I presume that's the environment you're looking for? If so, may want to check out Rush. If suburban Chicago's OK, take a look at rosalind franklin & loyola.

I've read good things about St. Louis University too, Temple maybe?

1. Loyola is only ~8 miles from Chicago - not that far!
2. If you are considering Chicago, add UIC to the list - as a URM, you might find more support structures for you there if you are looking for that, and the location is right next to Rush.

try some schools in asia...just a suggestion...

I want OOS safeties... i'm sure i'll get in somewhere in Tx, esp. since I work at one of the med schools :)

and yes, I'm trying to stay in an urban area, my boyfriend is moving with me. thanks for the input so far!

If you want to be in New York, put NY Med and Albany Med on your list. (NY Med is in a nearby suburb; Albany Med is in the state capital, a small city about 3 hrs. outside NYC). You could also try Einstein (in the city).

If you'll consider Philly, Drexel, Temple and Jefferson are schools I've heard good things about, and your numbers look reasonable for them.

If you're looking larger cities, check out all the schools in Philadelphia; don't recall all the names offhand. If midsized cities are being considered also, Case (in Cleveland) may be a thought, although it's a bit pricey, how about George Washington & Georgetown in DC? I think OSU is north of Columbus in more a suburban area, but both Cleveland & Columbus are far smaller than San Francisco/NYC/Chicago.

Size of city is important to me, I found a web source that listed population by MSA (Metropolitan Statistical Area) and put this into my decision analysis as to which schools to consider, that might be a thought.

what is the website? thanks!