Chiropractor to PM&R

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JHUT

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a chiropractor with a strong interest in PM&R who is considering attending a Caribbean medical school. When the time came to match for a PM&R residency, do you think that my experience as a DC would be a positive, negative or indifferent factor?

Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

JHUT said:
I am a chiropractor with a strong interest in PM&R who is considering attending a Caribbean medical school. When the time came to match for a PM&R residency, do you think that my experience as a DC would be a positive, negative or indifferent factor?

Thanks in advance.

I suspect both positive and negative. I can tell you that, as I sit on our admissions committee, coming from a carribean med school will be a great hurdle to overcome than your DC background.

JHUT said:

Thanks in advance.

I am aware of at least one attending that was opposed to me joining the program because of my background. Generally speaking, it might be slightly helpful, if you play it right. It is increasingly difficult for Carib grads to find a PM&R position, though who knows what it will be like in 8-9 years. DOs make up ~18% of all PM&R residents and tend to have little difficulty attaining quality positions. You might consider this route.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am a chiropractor as well. It is interesting coming from that background. Some view it as positive but very few. Good luck. I have graduated and am now applying for PM&R programs. If you have any more questions please let me know.

JHUT said:

Thanks in advance.

It seems strange that they would see Chiropractor experience as a negative, especially with good grades and solid step1. Why is that? I am also a Chiro in first semester of medical school in Miami.

Can't tell for sure if PM&R view it as a negative yet. The family practice and IM guys did not really like the chiro status probably cuz of the local chiros doing crazy things in their community. I am hopeful to find a PM&R residency that views it as a positive. I think the IMG status is for some reason scarier to the program directors than the chiro status.