This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ChiroChanger

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello guys, I've been lurking on these pages for a few yours now but since I'm in the situation I'm in now I figured I should finally create an account ask ask for some advice. So I'm in a pretty unique situation as of the moment, I'm currently a 2nd year chiropractic student preparing to take boards and clinic entrance and the further along in the program the more I feel that this may not be the profession I wish to be in. I don't want to make this a thread on what I don't like about chiropractic, but essentially I hate the how a small minority of "philosophically-based" practitioners can ruin the entire profession for everyone else trying to be represent an evidence-based model for the profession. I originally wanted to go to dental school after graduating from undergrad, however I was told by my mentors that my GPA wasn't good enough and doing a master's degree would be worthless. So anyways, after that confrontation I started shadowing different medical professions and realized that I didn't really enjoy any of the professions with exception to emergency medicine and orthopedics. Somehow in the mist of all that was happening, I managed to come across a local chiropractor, at the time I was taken aback at how great his practice seemed and how happy his patients were and seemed and he encouraged me to shadow other chiropractors and apply to chiropractic school and so here I am 2 years into chiro school and unhappy with how the profession is not progressing. Anyways I've been considering going to dental school after I graduate from here, but since I don't know of anyone who has done this, I'd like to reach out to you guys and hear your opinions.
My stats:
Undergrad: cGPA: 3.03 sGPA: 3.02 B.S. Psychology
Doctor of Chiropractic (so far): cGPA: 3.4 sGPA 3.35
I have not took the DAT yet

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Don't listen to those who say you can't do it with your GPA. Your GPA is close to mine and I got into three schools this last cycle. Just understand your lower than average GPA puts you at a disadvantage and you will have to work even harder to get where you want to be.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

Don't listen to those who say you can't do it with your GPA. Your GPA is close to mine and I got into three schools this last cycle. Just understand your lower than average GPA puts you at a disadvantage and you will have to work even harder to get where you want to be.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk
which schools did you get accepted to if you don't mind me asking?

Members don't see this ad :)
So anyways, after that confrontation I started shadowing different medical professions and realized that I didn't really enjoy any of the professions with exception to emergency medicine and orthopedics.
Make sure this is something you really want to do. Have you shadowed any dentists? Dentistry isn't similar to either of the mentioned MD/DO paths you listed

Reactions: 1 users
Make sure this is something you really want to do. Have you shadowed any dentists? Dentistry isn't similar to either of the mentioned MD/DO paths you listed
Prior to shadowing MD/DO/DC's I shadowed DDS/DMD's for 2-3 years and have probably shadowed around 25-30 different offices and specialties (i.e. general vs ortho vs endo vs etc.). That said, I'll probably start shadowing again because I firmly believe you can never have too much shadowing experience. Another thing I forgot to mention before is that I hope to go to dental school in Arizona (i.e. ATSU and Midwestern). I understand that you should keep all your options open when it comes to applying to schools, but living and going to school outside of my home state (AZ) for just the two years I've been in Chiro school has taken it's toll and I'd like to move back as soon as physically possible if at all possible. I guess I don't know if my DC degree will help me or hurt me trying to gain admissions so if anyone can help shine some light or know of someone in a similar situation that I'm in now, I'd greatly appreciate any advice

You would have to do really well on the DAT. And you would have to have extensive shadowing hours to prove to admissions that you won't cop out on dental school either.

Consider the practicality of it, do you have any debt from undergrad, or chiro school? Add that number to at least 300k worth of dental school. Do you think that you can service that debt? If you think you can, and love dentistry enough, go for it.

I think in both areas you can make money, as a dentist I think you have bigger chances for that. Now a lot of people have a lot of back problems and me too. I have visited a chiropractor and he could not only relieve but also treated my back pain . Such kinds of doctors are very popular and are asked by patients very much. I am sure that they are making also a lot of money too. In general medicine become very popular area for making money, people always will have problems with their health and will want to cure them.

Last edited:
Another thing I forgot to mention before is that I hope to go to dental school in Arizona (i.e. ATSU and Midwestern). I understand that you should keep all your options open when it comes to applying to schools, but living and going to school outside of my home state (AZ) for just the two years I've been in Chiro school has taken it's toll and I'd like to move back as soon as physically possible if at all possible. I guess I don't know if my DC degree will help me or hurt me trying to gain admissions so if anyone can help shine some light or know of someone in a similar situation that I'm in now, I'd greatly appreciate any advice

Hey. I get it. Arizona is awesome. Well. The summers suck. But ATSU and Midwestern are some of the most expensive DS out there. 4 yrs DS at an expensive DS plus your 2 yrs of Chiro school is going to ADD up. If you really want to be a dentist and not owe your soul to debt service afterwards ... maybe you ought to apply to some other less expensive schools. Having a partial chiro background might give you an edge at some of these less expensive DS. Maybe.

Good luck.

Dentistry is awesome career, great field. Not at the cost of debt slavery. If you can manage the expense of paying maybe 80k/year in tuition fees then do it

This thread has been dead since 2017. Curious what OP did.

You have a good GPA, I believe that you should be able to get into Dental school with a good DAT score ideally 20+. Honestly, unless you really like dentistry it is not worth it from a financial prospect as you can be in over 400k in debt. So follow your passion and do something that you like.

I sure hope he’s made up his mind by now.. 3 years is a long time to be considering this kind of switch