Chiropractic Student to DO

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CoreFire88

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
hello, I just finished my first year of Chiropractic school. I like a lot of ideas taught in Chiropractic school but I feel there's a lot missing, and I am very interested in going to Osteopathic Medical school.

I did not take my undergrad seriously, I have a Microbiology BS which I did very poorly in. I have a 2.6 undergrad GPA and it took me 6 years to obtain the degree, with being on dismissal for one entire semester and getting many D's and F's with lots of repeats.

I have matured a lot since coming to Chiropractic school. My GPA for the first year is at a 3.68 currently. I have shadowed two DO's and have become close to them (who would write recommendation letters). I have also volunteered at a hospital for about 100 hours this past year. and have been studying for the MCAT all year and plan on taking it in 2 months.

my question is, since my gpa has been relatively high in Chiropractic school (which has many anatomy, physiology, and science courses which are jam packed in each trimester) and if I score very well on the MCAT's do you think I would have a shot in getting accepted into an Osteopathic school? or would my undergraduate transcripts make it impossible?

thank you, and please be honest in your responses

Members don't see this ad.

The honest answer is no.

Reactions: 1 users
Why no? Is it because of the low undergrad gpa?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm curious about this. Isn't the undergrad GPA always more important than graduate degree, unless it is a SMP (which is actual med school classes, generally w/ the med students). That is going to differ than taking graduate level courses at a chiropractic school (correct me if I'm wrong).

Your important undergrad classes are: bio, chem, orgo, physics, biochem - are those reflected in your first year of chiro school?

I'm curious why you would do a year of chiro school, and then decide on another path? It seems like an extreme waste of money. But chiropractic school is so risky. If I was in your shoes, I'd stop with chiro school if I know DO is my real path, and re-take those bad undergrad grades, especially any pre-reqs at a community college. This path might take a few extra years, but you might be happier long term.

I'm curious what some Admissions boards may think about Chiro as well. I've always heard that DO's had some bad blood with the idea of chiropractors - I wonder if it would change the way Admissions committees review the applicant? Anybody from an Adcom know?

I'm curious about this. Isn't the undergrad GPA always more important than graduate degree, unless it is a SMP (which is actual med school classes, generally w/ the med students). That is going to differ than taking graduate level courses at a chiropractic school (correct me if I'm wrong).

Your important undergrad classes are: bio, chem, orgo, physics, biochem - are those reflected in your first year of chiro school?

I'm curious why you would do a year of chiro school, and then decide on another path? It seems like an extreme waste of money. But chiropractic school is so risky. If I was in your shoes, I'd stop with chiro school if I know DO is my real path, and re-take those bad undergrad grades, especially any pre-reqs at a community college. This path might take a few extra years, but you might be happier long term.

Usually this is the case, yes. Although I have heard of someone who had a 2.5-2.6 undergrad GPA and despite a 3.7 GPA at Georgetown SMP and a high MCAT score, it took them 3 cycles to finally get into a MD(or DO, I forgot) school despite being non trad and having life experience.

I'd agree with the above that it is a long shot. I don't think DOs would receive Chiropractic school very well, but also your undergraduate GPA is a killer. If you want to do this, (and please check with others on here), you'd have to retake all of your undergraduate classes for which you scored less than a B-, and rock the MCAT. At that point, you may be able to pull it off--Best of luck!

Reactions: 1 user
hello, I just finished my first year of Chiropractic school. I like a lot of ideas taught in Chiropractic school but I feel there's a lot missing, and I am very interested in going to Osteopathic Medical school.

I did not take my undergrad seriously, I have a Microbiology BS which I did very poorly in. I have a 2.6 undergrad GPA and it took me 6 years to obtain the degree, with being on dismissal for one entire semester and getting many D's and F's with lots of repeats.

I have matured a lot since coming to Chiropractic school. My GPA for the first year is at a 3.68 currently. I have shadowed two DO's and have become close to them (who would write recommendation letters). I have also volunteered at a hospital for about 100 hours this past year. and have been studying for the MCAT all year and plan on taking it in 2 months.

my question is, since my gpa has been relatively high in Chiropractic school (which has many anatomy, physiology, and science courses which are jam packed in each trimester) and if I score very well on the MCAT's do you think I would have a shot in getting accepted into an Osteopathic school? or would my undergraduate transcripts make it impossible?

The good thing is that AACOMAS has grade replacement, so its not like you're ever completely out like you are for MD. Just retake those C/D/F until you get to the undergrad gpa you want.

I would think you would have to at least do a year of undergrad over and do well. I don't think any ADCOMs would consider a 3.68 GPA in chiropractic school. Perhaps if you did top 10% on the MCAT but that is very unlikely with a 2.x GPA and being a few years out from taking the prereqs.

It's very unlikely, even with a spectacular MCAT (35+). However, you shouldn't get discouraged. Take the MCAT, do your best on it, and then take a year off to repeat those courses you got F's/D's in. If you have a solid MCAT, display an upward GPA trend, and apply broadly, you should have a shot at making it.

We've had so few chiro students apply that it's hard to assess. Sometimes you have to apply, warts and all and see how the app cycle shakes out. You're going to need to explain why chiro isn't good enough, how you'll demonstrate that you're not a professional student and won't bail on DO school, and definitely shadow a DO and get a DO LOR.

@Goro what do you think?

We've had so few chiro students apply that it's hard to assess. Sometimes you have to apply, warts and all and see how the app cycle shakes out. You're going to need to explain why chiro isn't good enough, how you'll demonstrate that you're not a professional student and won't bail on DO school, and definitely shadow a DO and get a DO LOR.

Goro, thank you for your reply. But how would the bad undergraduate transcript affect my chances? Do I still have a chance if I make high marks on the MCAT and make a good case why I'd wish to be an osteopath as opposed to a chiropractor? would my poor undergrad performance overshadow my high marks in Chiropractic school?

thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
AACOMAS will include the chiro school GPA as graduate GPA and it will raise the cGPA.

How seriously it will be treated is an unknown.

Goro, thank you for your reply. But how would the bad undergraduate transcript affect my chances? Do I still have a chance if I make high marks on the MCAT and make a good case why I'd wish to be an osteopath as opposed to a chiropractor? would my poor undergrad performance overshadow my high marks in Chiropractic school?

thanks

It's very unlikely, even with a spectacular MCAT (35+). However, you shouldn't get discouraged. Take the MCAT, do your best on it, and then take a year off to repeat those courses you got F's/D's in. If you have a solid MCAT, display an upward GPA trend, and apply broadly, you should have a shot at making it.
I mean I've already retaken all the D and F's I needed a C- in order to pass for my BS so all the courses I failed (got below c-) I retook to get above c-. I don't think I am going to drop out of Chiropractic school, only unless I get accepted into Medical school.

The good thing is that AACOMAS has grade replacement, so its not like you're ever completely out like you are for MD. Just retake those C/D/F until you get to the undergrad gpa you want.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but the way I understood it was that the grade replacement would be only up to a certain credits? for example my university allowed me up to 16 credits of grade replacement (which I exhausted in my undergrad) and that aacomas would accept that. I didn't think you could take unlimited amounts of credits and they would replace your previous score.

I mean I've already retaken all the D and F's I needed a C- in order to pass for my BS so all the courses I failed (got below c-) I retook to get above c-. I don't think I am going to drop out of Chiropractic school, only unless I get accepted into Medical school.

I strongly recommend you apply the year before you graduate or complete Chiropractic school if you go this route. Admissions committees won't like the fact you quit in the middle of a degree before medical school matriculation.

I strongly recommend you apply the year before you graduate or complete Chiropractic school if you go this route. Admissions committees won't like the fact you quit in the middle of a degree before medical school matriculation.

hmm so actually become a DC and go to Medical school. that would mean I would be applying in one year because our program's only three years. It's a lot of debt though, and i'll be going to medical school (if i'm accepted) at around 30, but I really want this, so maybe it's worth going after becoming a chiropractic doctor.

good advice thanks.

Why no? Is it because of the low undergrad gpa?
Yes. Undergraduate GPA is calculated separate from your graduate GPA. Every school has a screening process that stops any application falling below a certain number from seeing the light of day.

If you went and took some more undergraduate courses and got your uGPA >3.0 and did very well on the MCAT, you would stand a chance. But for now, you stand zero chance in hell. Sorry man. But Goro might be right- they might, maybe, possibly count your chiro work.

Yes. Undergraduate GPA is calculated separate from your graduate GPA. Every school has a screening process that stops any application falling below a certain number from seeing the light of day.

If you went and took some more undergraduate courses and got your uGPA >3.0 and did very well on the MCAT, you would stand a chance. But for now, you stand zero chance in hell. Sorry man. But Goro might be right- they might, maybe, possibly count your chiro work.

I got a secondary for KCU-COM and cGPA just went over the 3.25 mark cut off, because of my graduate GPA. So there is a strong possibility that the chiro work will count for a good chunk of schools. However, it would be best to get the undergrad GPA up if possible so you take no chances.

Retake them again? You'll have to do everything you can to attain at least a 3.0 uGPA. That or either do a 1-year SMP. Also, don't forget that this will only work assuming you have a strong MCAT. I think your best bet at this point is, if you're really determined about attending medical school, is to go to balls to the wall and score big on the MCAT. From there you can then decide the best plan of action.

hmm so actually become a DC and go to Medical school. that would mean I would be applying in one year because our program's only three years. It's a lot of debt though, and i'll be going to medical school (if i'm accepted) at around 30, but I really want this, so maybe it's worth going after becoming a chiropractic doctor.

good advice thanks.

30 isn't too late to start DO school. By 34/35 you'll be graduating, in residency making $45K, and by 37-40, 6 figs. It's a tremendous amount of debt, but you'll be working for the next 20-30 years anyways doing something you love.

good advice thanks.

I disagree with finishing out the dc degree- why spend money on a degree that you won't use. It's a complete waste of resources. If you are unsure if you will be able to gain acceptance to a DO school, the better course of action might be to take a leave of absence from DC school and take the mcat/ possibly retake some classes. There is no cap on the number of retakes btw. This way you save $ but keep the dc option open. I personally would just drop dc school and make a hard run at do school while working but make the best decision for you.

Do you know your science gpa and overall gpa at this point? It would help us give better advice

Last edited:
A lot of schools have 3.0 cut-offs for GPA, either officially or unofficially-- that's going to be hard to get around, with or without a DC degree.

Your undergrad GPA is the #1 most important thing, right up there with your MCAT. Your achievements in chiro college are way down on the list.

Get your undergrad sGPA to 3.2+ and overall to 3.5+, with a matching MCAT over 500, and you become a candidate. Your chiro GPA isn't going to save you. I wouldn't bother finishing the chiro if you got accepted to DO, but it will be a potentially red flag that you're shifting around from one major program to another.

I disagree with finishing out the dc degree- why spend money on a degree that you won't use. It's a complete waste of resources. If you are unsure if you will be able to gain acceptance to a DO school, the better course of action might be to take a leave of absence from DC school and take the mcat/ possibly retake some classes. There is no cap on the number of retakes btw. This way you save $ but keep the dc option open. I personally would just drop dc school and make a hard run at do school while working but make the best decision for you.

Do you know your science gpa and overall gpa at this point? It would help us give better advice

If he want to drop chiropractic school in pursuit of medicine, this is fine. He would be saying "this is not for me" and his improved ugGPA/MCAT woud show his commitment. However, stopping in the middle of a degree to apply to medical school is a huge red flag, even taking a leave of absence is a bad idea. Even in my secondaries for medical school, there questions asking "when will you be done with your graduate degree?" So they take quitting of a degree before matriculation as an extremely taboo thing.

My school has a Podiatry school, and every year we have several students who leave the Podiatry program and apply to the DO program, so I do not see an issue with you leaving Chiropractor school and wanting to apply to a DO program. The issue though is your undergraduate GPA which is kind of low and you took 6 years to get that GPA.

AACOMAS will include the chiro school GPA as graduate GPA and it will raise the cGPA.

How seriously it will be treated is an unknown.

Actually with this year's new AACOMAS platform, professional school GPA was not calculated, otherwise my pharmacy school GPA would've nearly killed me.

For OP's reference, AMCAS lists undergrad and professional school GPA's in 2 separate columns and there's no composite; TMDSAS calculates all GPA's indiscriminately, which with my low pharmacy school GPA (didn't think I'd be applying for school again back then), killed any chances of mine in getting in TCOM.

Not to fear though. Check with your state and see if there's something like an academic restart program like we got in Texas, where all your grades and credits older than 10 years (something like that) get erased and you start undergrad anew.

Last edited:
Your undergrad GPA is the #1 most important thing, right up there with your MCAT. Your achievements in chiro college are way down on the list.

Get your undergrad sGPA to 3.2+ and overall to 3.5+, with a matching MCAT over 500, and you become a candidate. Your chiro GPA isn't going to save you. I wouldn't bother finishing the chiro if you got accepted to DO, but it will be a potentially red flag that you're shifting around from one major program to another.

DC vs DO? If I'm not mistaken they're based on 2 different belief systems. I wonder what the OP will have to say about the switch without bashing DC. Sure I'm applying to med school but being a pharmacist actually helps with and augments medicine & pt care, so I consider my switch to be an expansion of my career, but for the OP to finish DC school then do DO school? Just real curious.

DC vs DO? If I'm not mistaken they're based on 2 different belief systems. I wonder what the OP will have to say about the switch without bashing DC. Sure I'm applying to med school but being a pharmacist actually helps with and augments medicine & pt care, so I consider my switch to be an expansion of my career, but for the OP to finish DC school then do DO school? Just real curious.

Did you know you wanted to become a doctor during pharmacy school? Or was it not until after? why the switch?

Did you know you wanted to become a doctor during pharmacy school? Or was it not until after? why the switch?

Yeah I knew I was gonna become a doctor of pharmacy :p

It was 4 years into pharmacy practice when I decided to do med school. PM me for those more personal & semi interview questions please.

Last edited:
[QUOTESeth Joo, post: 17018864, member: 577381"]My school has a Podiatry school, and every year we have several students who leave the Podiatry program and apply to the DO program, so I do not see an issue with you leaving Chiropractor school and wanting to apply to a DO program. The issue though is your undergraduate GPA which is kind of low and you took 6 years to get that GPA.[/QUOTE]

What do you think of the chiro as a DO student then Seth?

At least at Comp, I know a chiropractor and he wasn't asked career jumper questions.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but the way I understood it was that the grade replacement would be only up to a certain credits? for example my university allowed me up to 16 credits of grade replacement (which I exhausted in my undergrad) and that aacomas would accept that. I didn't think you could take unlimited amounts of credits and they would replace your previous score.

Undergrad schools have specific cutoffs for retaking classes, but the AACOMAS does not. The only requirements are that they cover the same material and the retake is of equal or greater credits than the original class.

good advice thanks.

You're talking about applying only 1 yr earlier, so in the long-run it really isn't a huge delay from your current plan. The advantage of staying in Chiro school is that you'd have a career as a backup no matter what happened in the application process or in DO school.

You're main issue is the GPA. If I were you, and was serious about gong to DO school, I'd start an AACOMAS and calculate what my grade would show up as. You don't have to submit an app now, but it's worth it to get an idea of everything. If you're below a 3.0, your chances are really low, even if you kill the MCAT. That said, if you are close or above it, you have a shot provided you can take strategic retakes to bump up your GPAs and do well on the MCAT.

At this point, you're really in the beginning of the process. Calculate your AACOMAS GPA, take the MCAT, and then come back and we can give you a reasonable idea of whether or not you've got a good shot. Either way you're not applying this cycle.

Leave chiro school and retake a few classes to get your GPAs at or above 3.2... and 26+ MCAT with that GPA should get you an acceptance somewhere...

Not trying to be mean here, but I never understand why people would spend 150k+ getting a DC or a ND degree...

Last edited:
I wouldn't pay that much to even get a pharmacy degree. Good thing Texas state schools charged only 5k a semester when I was in school 10 years ago....

TCOM tuition is still just a lil over 13k per year it looks like.

Leave chiro school and retake a few classes to get your GPAs at or above 3.2... and 26+ MCAT with that GPA should get you an acceptance somewhere...

Not trying to be mean here, but I never understand why people would spend 150k+ getting a DC or a ND degree...

Medical ninjas are bad@sses!!

Undergrad schools have specific cutoffs for retaking classes, but the AACOMAS does not. The only requirements are that they cover the same material and the retake is of equal or greater credits than the original class.

You're talking about applying only 1 yr earlier, so in the long-run it really isn't a huge delay from your current plan. The advantage of staying in Chiro school is that you'd have a career as a backup no matter what happened in the application process or in DO school.

You're main issue is the GPA. If I were you, and was serious about gong to DO school, I'd start an AACOMAS and calculate what my grade would show up as. You don't have to submit an app now, but it's worth it to get an idea of everything. If you're below a 3.0, your chances are really low, even if you kill the MCAT. That said, if you are close or above it, you have a shot provided you can take strategic retakes to bump up your GPAs and do well on the MCAT.

At this point, you're really in the beginning of the process. Calculate your AACOMAS GPA, take the MCAT, and then come back and we can give you a reasonable idea of whether or not you've got a good shot. Either way you're not applying this cycle.