CHIP/CTO fellowships

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

throwaway1988

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a couple of questions.
1. Is there a list of CHIP/CTO fellowship programs out there? There used to be one on SCAI but no longer see it. If not, let's create our own here.

2. What's your opinion on doing an extra year of CHIP/CTO fellowship vs. learning on the job/proctored. Is it worth it?

Members don't see this ad.

IMHO, an extra year to do CHIP/CTO is not worth it. From a purely practical/financial perspective, you are giving up a year of IC attending salary in addition to already having given up 4 years of IM attending salary.

Even after doing a year of extra training, you are unlikely to find a pure full time IC job (not impossible but difficult) as most jobs require a mix of General cardiology and IC. In a private practice job with pressure to produce RVU’s, trust me, you are not going to be doing CTOs.

With all that said, you gotta do what you love.

Reactions: 1 user
What is your motivation? Have you already built an extensive research portfolio around CHIP/CTO and need an extra notch on your belt to land a big academic job? Then maybe it makes sense. Otherwise you are not increasing your desirability as a job candidate one bit. You are going to be bathing in radiation for a year at minimum wage.

Members don't see this ad :)
I haven't heard of another year sub fellowship for that. Either way I would not devote another year of slave labor for that unless I was really after credentialing for an academic spot like thenextlevel mentioned.

Not worth it all, IMO. Just another way of the administration to hold onto cheap labor. Learn it on the job.

Pass on that. At some point we all have to grow up and move on with life

if you really really want to do CTOs (which most end up quitting) it’s a real world thing that you’ll have to learn doing as an attd. if you can find a job that will allow you to take your lumps with them (ie complications) and go to courses and stay aggressive trying you’ll develop your skill set