china grads in US....????

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sumi

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey any one from china in US?...im confused about one thing,any suggestion will b greatly appreciated....is it true that even after the completion of Masters (in China)..if one has to work in US....after taking USMLE,he will have to do the internship and residency....????/:confused: ....does that mean China degree will b invalid!???!..

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by sumi
hey any one from china in US?...im confused about one thing,any suggestion will b greatly appreciated....is it true that even after the completion of Masters (in China)..if one has to work in US....after taking USMLE,he will have to do the internship and residency....????/:confused: ....does that mean China degree will b invalid!???!..

Masters of what?

Anyways, yes, you will need to do your residency after you get your ECFMG certificate.

No, your Bachelor of Medicine will allow you to write the USMLE via the ECFMG.

Originally posted by poly
Masters of what?

Anyways, yes, you will need to do your residency after you get your ECFMG certificate.

No, your Bachelor of Medicine will allow you to write the USMLE via the ECFMG.

I *think* he's talking about a MMed which is the basic residency qualification (I *think* residency is divided into basic and advanced years). Am I right sumi?

I know that if a Chinese medical school graduate wants to do 'residency' in Singapore, they need to have the MMed plus 6(?) years experience. I don't think the US is anywhere near as harsh.

As long as your med school is listed by the WHO (I guess?) I think you could apply for US residencies straight after graduating. Virtually no countries recognise any other country's post-graduate training so don't take the offence to heart ;)

What medical school are you at/ graduate from Sumi? I'm interested in doing an elective in China over the next christmas holiday period. How 'good' do you think my chinese has to be?

Members don't see this ad :)
thanks guys.though im still not sure of couple of things...can you please verify.....these are the info i have so far,

1.Pass the basic and clinical years of medical school within 7years of time period.
2.Pass TOEFL(credit valid for the next two years)
3.Take USMLE STEP1
4.Pass CSA
STEP 2CS implementation on mid 2004 will no longer require TOEFL for ECFMG certification.?
5.USMLE STEP2CS will replace ECFMG CSA from mid 2004 as it will b equivalent for ECFMG certification?

i have done 5 and half years of med. school comprising of 2 yrs of basics and 2 and half years of clinical with addictional 1 year of internship..so i have MBBS degree.Now from what i have understood so far the process for FMG to get registered in US, i have to take USMLE STEP 1 ...than pass CSA which can be transitioned to STEP 2 CS...take USMLE STEP 3....after this i have to do residency of 3 years?(irrespective of being a masters graduate..
At present im doing my 1st year Masters in Surgery.in XI'AN MEDICAL UNIVERSITY,CHINA.It is WHO recognised.

And yes,u can do elective in china and knowledge of chinese will be a big advantage else, clinical rounds will have senior docs. explaining the cases since it will b impossible to take the history on ur own.

Have you considered the visa problem? How do you plan to come to US?

I would say for Chinese, passing the tests is not the most critical problem, only a matter of time and efforts, the most important thing is the visa. If you have a green card, everything is much easier.

Actually passing USMLE is pretty hard for Chinese Medical Graduates too since there is a language barrier and that Chinese medical schools are not really catored towards passing USMLE. I know quite a few Chinese MDs who have US citizenship yet were working in labs as technicians because they could not pass USMLE. Imagine yourself, a US medical student educated in an English curriculum that is specific for USMLE and how difficult is it for you to pass the tests.

I have to admit to you that language is a big problem for most Chinese.

Most CHinese who work as a lab technician have Chinese boss, and it is not uncommon that, they can work while not speaking English for a whole month. And for most MDs, the problem is visa, not USMLE. Personally I don't believe any normal Chinese MD does not have the ability to pass it, it might take 1 more year to prepare, that's it!

For Chinese schools, there is no MCAT, no prerequistes, admission is not competitive, tution is incredibly low (most schools less thatn US 1000 per year). Living expense is very low too.

Americans almost explore every possibility to go to medical schools in the world, with one exception in China, because language issues. Any issue is dual-sided, as long as people know how to use it.

I was educated in China, later I came to US and got more good education. Now I work in an American company. English language is not a problem for me any more.

I am not an MD now. As a Chinese currently in US, I am also happy that I have more options than other people if I decide to go to medical school. I can either go to US schools, or Carribean schools, or a Chinese school.

I hate to shatter your delusion, but the truth is that you probably never took the USMLE and does not know the extent of it. So, how can you say most normal Chinese MD would pass it no problem? I KNOW several Chinese MD that just couldn't pass it and after years of futile attempts they just quit. The others don't even bother trying. And yes, language is a major problem in passing USLME too. How is one going to interpret the EKG on USMLE if he or she doesn't even know what anteriorseptal infarction means? Or what macrophage is or what the word epitope means?

Chinese peoples' English are improving. Compare China nowadays with China 30 years ago, an average person will be greatly impressed. Same thing with medical education in China. I do not have statistics to show how many Chinese MDs are practicing in US. And it is the same thing for you. I don't think you have any statistics to prove either... I know this, I know that person..., this doesn't mean anything.

One more thing, I don't want to argue with some person who know himself/herself is mean, whether himself is a Chinese MDs who is viewing other other Chinese going to medicine field in US as his potential competitors, or somebody with other unknown purposes, whatever they have in words to bash Chinese MDs. In my life, I always try to avoid mean/bad person. I admire people with good-heart.

When people can't make a case for themselves they start to pick on their others' names? :oops:

I, on the other hand, love to argue with people who fantacize about how easy it would have been for them to pass USMLE while they had to settle working for some company. And I especially love to debunk made-up stories about how easy it is to pass USMLE when these same people had virtually no idea what USMLE is about. Obviously you couldn't answer any of my questions. Instead, you accuse me of Chinese MD bashing simply because no Chinese`MD that I know could pass USMLE.

Good luck with the kind of people you hang out with. :D

To prettymean and rhp:
Hold it ,guys!I personally met both(graduated from China med schools) ie those who fail steps with multiple attempts and those who pass steps after staying in US for many yrs.But one common things(like other FMGs from different foreigne countries) are they all have been practicing yrs prior coming to US to apply for residency.This means they are at attending levels and taking the USMLE (the entry level for residency). In a way, the competition is not fair to those who just graduated from meds schools.Well Back to original topics, so far ,I have met different MDs from different countries, it seems that the highest passing rate/ successful rates are Indians-- coz they well plan to come over to US to practice when or before they starts med schools in India plus they use English language in teaching which is so helpful.I heard there are some programs in china using English and chinese in meds school, I guess those graduates will less problems to pass the steps.Anyway, I would say there are successful cases but most of them almost 99 % are those at attending levels instead of freshly graduate level.

thanx for all the concerns.......just want to add that...although im doing my masters (Surgery)in China,I come from Nepal.so english language is not a problem since i have studied in english all my life.(though to study in China i have had to study chinese language).im not aware of how Chinese appearing for USMLE deal with the language problem?!!
..coming back to doing USMLE ,i think ill be facing same issues like other foreign students applying for it....my confusion still remains over the number of years of residensy....is it true that for MD doing residensy,it takes fewer years comparatively???......
thanx in advance.

Sumi,
Do u mean the no. of residency yrs in US after u clear ur steps? If so, it depends what specialty u choose. For internal med., FP,peds-- 3 yrs,PM&R, neuro,psych--4 yrs,surg-- at least 5 yrs...