Chief Fellow

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vemurafenib

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
My program director asked me if I want to be a chief fellow. My 3rd year schedule is otherwise pretty chill and mainly clinics/research off time etc. My career goals are community/PP. What are the advantages/disadvantages of being a chief fellow in your third year.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

My program director asked me if I want to be a chief fellow. My 3rd year schedule is otherwise pretty chill and mainly clinics/research off time etc. My career goals are community/PP. What are the advantages/disadvantages of being a chief fellow in your third year.

Thanks
Maybe it's an extra line on your CV, may or may not help that much with jobs.
Really the benefit is you get to make the call schedule, tedious as it may be-- first dibs on vacation/interview scheduling requests.

Maybe it's an extra line on your CV, may or may not help that much with jobs.
Really the benefit is you get to make the call schedule, tedious as it may be-- first dibs on vacation/interview scheduling requests.
And you get to be the one everybody complains to/about. Don't forget about that. You'll also get a lot of experience in managing a system where you have tons of responsibility but no authority.

Members don't see this ad :)
Cofellows reported that, on job search “chief fellow” had currency among some private practices.

However, it seems like too much trouble. Being chief during a Covid surge is the worst.

Cofellows reported that, on job search “chief fellow” had currency among some private practices.

However, it seems like too much trouble. Being chief during a Covid surge is the worst.
Agree with the above. WIth the pandemic, it's been tough to be a chief fellow for this academic year!

The real X factor nobody has mentioned yet is you need to figure out who might be chief if you turned it down and how annoying/self-serving that person is.

I did not do chief fellow but I was an IM chief and I agree with GutOnc you get a lot of good experience in middle management... which is both a good and awful thing. It can suck a lot sometimes but you might get a better sense of whether you like that kind of thing before you get out into the real world and someone offers you some admin duties.

Reactions: 1 user