chest tube management

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

unchartedem

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I had a patient whom had a large right sided PTX. A chest tube was placed to waterseal. CXR showed persistent PTX(no re-expansion) after the CT was placed. Should I be calling CT surgery immediately or should I give it sometime with suctioning?

Members don't see this ad.

Ive read some studies that show no change in improvement of expansion if done with suction or without. (at least initially). Connections were fine and tube wasn't kinked. In this situation would you still give it a day or so?

Members don't see this ad :)
Ive read some studies that show no change in improvement of expansion if done with suction or without. (at least initially). Connections were fine and tube wasn't kinked. In this situation would you still give it a day or so?

Yes (assuming the CT is actually in the chest, and not gone wandering in the chest wall). As long as the patient isn't symptomatic and you've got an air leak (make the patient cough to check if the air leak is slow).

Chest tubes for pneumo shouldn't need suction, though we all do it.

What was the etiology for the pneumo?

Etiology of ptx?
Size of ct?
Is it clotted off?
If is a smaller pigtail, Does the ct flush?
is it in a fissure?
Symptomatic?
Air leak?
Is the pt on oxygen?

Patient had COPD which I think was the cause.
It was a size 20 CT. It was not clotted off. Patient was on NRB. Sats 98%. Air leak was present.

They def need suction if leak large

European