Chemo pharmacists and pregnant

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Classy12345

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
What kind of duties do female chemo pharmacists usually take on when they first find out they’re pregnant? Friend is not a usual chemo pharmacist (Fills in occasionally). Doesn’t want to tell boss just yet until 1st trimester is over (lower chance of miscarriage). There are 2 chemo pharmacists per day—the other chemo pharmacist does the majority of the chemo checks; her shift involves mostly typing chemo orders but also checking occasionally some IV chemos in the hood when the other pharmacist is on lunch break. Standard procedure is double gown and double glove. Also involves delivering IV chemos —she would double glove. Is that safe or still dangerous? She tried secretly trading shifts until 1st trimester is over (when she’d tell boss) but chemo isn’t very popular so no luck in trading day shifts unless she trades for a night shift. Safe to stick with this chemo shift?

Members don't see this ad.

If she isn’t doing the actual compounding, I’d expect the risk to be exceptionally low. However, she should just tell the Pharmacy Director and make sure they know to keep it confidential. I told my scheduler about my wife’s pregnancy long before my coworkers so they could plan ahead for my leave of absence.

You guys already use the closed systems right? So I think she will most likely be fine, especially if she’s not doing the actual compounding anyway...