Cheapest Optometry School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Samus2008

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Lets say you could tap your feet and become a resident of whichever state you wanted. Specifically in tuition dollars which Optometry school would be cheapest? I ask cause I notice some state school's have over 20k tution, that aint cheap for instate!

Members don't see this ad.

Look at cost of living when considering as well.

EX: SUNY's tuition is cheap if your in state. But depending on where you live it could actually be more expensive.

Members don't see this ad :)
How come not many people apply to UCBSO?
Only ~250 people applied compared to ~600-900 people for other schools.

Because Berkeley has some INTENSE prerequisites.

Well, that's the only reason I didn't apply. I'd probably have to take 1 years worth of classes just to go there. Not worth it!

Look at cost of living when considering as well.

EX: SUNY's tuition is cheap if your in state. But depending on where you live it could actually be more expensive.

True. OP said strictly tuition, but you're exactly right. Another reason why I love Memphis :D

Out of curiosity, does anyone know what processes the schools go through to determine what their tuition will be? Of course for state schools they receive state money, but aside from that, what other factors go into it?

Out of curiosity, does anyone know what processes the schools go through to determine what their tuition will be? Of course for state schools they receive state money, but aside from that, what other factors go into it?

Things like alumni donations, default rate of the students, etc. The way fin aid explained it to me was that the more money the students pay back, the more that's available for future/current students to borrow (because SCO is a lender, I guess all schools are?). It's just a big cycle.

Last edited:
27,000/ year

adenosine, are you from AZ? Because then it would be expenisive (in state tuition), otherwise, its about the same same as all the other schools for out of state

Thank you. I don't Midwestern is that expensive, it seems about the same as the other schools. The more expensive ones in tuition are ICO and PCO...dunno why!

27,000/ year

adenosine, are you from AZ? Because then it would be expenisive (in state tuition), otherwise, its about the same same as all the other schools for out of state

I don't even see on their site where the tuition is listed for their OD program (it seems to list every program except optometry), but it's not a state school, so why would in state/out of state matter?

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah its not listed. You have to email/call to ask. That is what the told me.
I had no idea about the state vs private school issue (coming from Canada). So what are the tuitions for private schools like?

Yeah its not listed. You have to email/call to ask. That is what the told me.
I had no idea about the state vs private school issue (coming from Canada). So what are the tuitions for private schools like?

Look at the opted link I posted earlier in the thread, it's all on there.

So MWU's 27,000/ yr isnt that off.
But as a previous poster said, it may be of question given MWU is a new school...
Thanks for the info! It really didnt cross my mind, WRT public vs private.

MWU's 27k seems to be on par w/ other schools.

minimeeeeeee - I think ucbso doesn't get as many applicants because people feel like it would be a wasted application (don't think they'll get in).

I wonder why midwestern is the most expensive od program right now. Kinda sucks. As a new program, I would have thought tuition would be less than it is.

Because it is an unnecessary school who's only objective as a private institution is to make money. Basically students who are unqualified or rejected by other schools will pay more $$ to get their degree from them.

I wonder why midwestern is the most expensive od program right now. Kinda sucks. As a new program, I would have thought tuition would be less than it is.

Where are you getting your information from? MWU is not the most expensive OD school.

A degree is a degree, a*shole.

yup, unfortunately it is. These new schools are screwing the whole profession. Fail to get into the real schools potty mouth?

You'll feel good when you hit the oversupplied marked that your new school helped worsen. No, I am not a fan of private OD schools.

yup, unfortunately it is. These new schools are screwing the whole profession. Fail to get into the real schools potty mouth?

You'll feel good when you hit the oversupplied marked that your new school helped worsen. No, I am not a fan of private OD schools.

Any private OD school? No SCCO or ICO?

IndianaOD you have a point they could be out to get money but to say that students that don't get into "real schools" are failures is an arrogant statement.

http://www.opt.indiana.edu/programs/od/cost.pdf Kinda expensive? I guess they are out to get your money?;)

For the majority, price wise, it's all near the same ballpark... with some exceptions of course.

Because it is an unnecessary school who's only objective as a private institution is to make money. Basically students who are unqualified or rejected by other schools will pay more $$ to get their degree from them.

I know you are on crusade to cut out all new schools & all commercial OD practices but think before you post otherwise you look like a chicken with his head cut off.

For people who do not have OD schools in their states, public schools can be costly.

Here is a break down of the tuition + fees for public & private schools for non-residents according to opted.org:

Public:

UAB: $44,203
UCBSO: $32,466
NOVA: $25,495
IU: $31,171
Mich: $32,025
Missouri: $34,615
SUNY: $26,350
Northeastern: $25,304
OSU: $48,389
PCO: $29,945
Puerto Rico: $24,878
SCO: $22,488
UHCO: $28,974

Private:

SCCO: $26,445
ICO: $28,759
NECO: $32,252
PUCO: $28,128
MWU: ~ $27,000 (according to students on here)
WU: $28,278 (tuition and fees from WU's website)

Just look at these numbers Indiana, you can see that there is not much of a difference. In fact, Public schools are a bit more costly if you do the averages: Public - $31,254 Private - $28,477. Of course these #'s are very arbitrary because we have to factor in living costs, life style, expenses, scholarships, and gaining in state residency for some of those public schools. In the end, it isn't as bad as you make it out for everyone to believe.

I personally did not want to go to any of the public schools based on geographic reasons. The only public school I thought about was UCBSO but their non-resident tuition is higher than the private schools and cost of living in Berkeley is much more.

So yes, all of us who didn't apply to public schools were probably going to be rejected by the publics schools. And god knows that public schools don't want your money either. :rolleyes:

you can recieve instate tuition at SUNY after your first year if you become a NY state resident.

osu charges ~50k/yr with housing, right?

I know you are on crusade to cut out all new schools & all commercial OD practices but think before you post otherwise you look like a chicken with his head cut off.

For people who do not have OD schools in their states, public schools can be costly.

Here is a break down of the tuition + fees for public & private schools for non-residents according to opted.org:

Public:

UAB: $44,203
UCBSO: $32,466
NOVA: $25,495
IU: $31,171
Mich: $32,025
Missouri: $34,615
SUNY: $26,350
Northeastern: $25,304
OSU: $48,389
PCO: $29,945
Puerto Rico: $24,878
SCO: $22,488
UHCO: $28,974

Private:

SCCO: $26,445
ICO: $28,759
NECO: $32,252
PUCO: $28,128
MWU: ~ $27,000 (according to students on here)
WU: $28,278 (tuition and fees from WU's website)

Just look at these numbers Indiana, you can see that there is not much of a difference. In fact, Public schools are a bit more costly if you do the averages: Public - $31,254 Private - $28,477. Of course these #'s are very arbitrary because we have to factor in living costs, life style, expenses, scholarships, and gaining in state residency for some of those public schools. In the end, it isn't as bad as you make it out for everyone to believe.

I personally did not want to go to any of the public schools based on geographic reasons. The only public school I thought about was UCBSO but their non-resident tuition is higher than the private schools and cost of living in Berkeley is much more.

So yes, all of us who didn't apply to public schools were probably going to be rejected by the publics schools. And god knows that public schools don't want your money either. :rolleyes:

Indiana has contract seats for numerous states which dramatically decreases the tuition. On average the private schools have MUCH larger class sizes, lower entering scores, and give back next to NOTHING by means of decent research or prestige. Also, the state schools are overseen by and held accountable by larger institutions with reputations to uphold.

Besides increasing the oversupply and lowering the average entrance stats of OD schools what benefit is there for the profession concerning these new schools?

Please, I may not be an old OD (3 years post graduation) but I find it laughable that pre-opts think they know what is going on.

You make it sound like its horrible that anyone attend a new optometry school. In case you haven't considered it, the field of optometry DOES have room for growth. I highly doubt the 50 person class sizes at midwestern are going to "screw up the whole profession" and cause an "oversupplied market" ...drama queen.

Go log into ODwire for awhile and tell me "there is room for growth". The name calling must mean you are nervous to be attending an unproven school without a clinic. The big test will be if they can come up with decent 4th year rotations.

SCO is a private school, not a public school.

I also thought PCO and Nova were private? Maybe I'm wrong.

Indiana has contract seats for numerous states which dramatically decreases the tuition. On average the private schools have MUCH larger class sizes, lower entering scores, and give back next to NOTHING by means of decent research or prestige. Also, the state schools are overseen by and held accountable by larger institutions with reputations to uphold.

Besides increasing the oversupply and lowering the average entrance stats of OD schools what benefit is there for the profession concerning these new schools?

Please, I may not be an old OD (3 years post graduation) but I find it laughable that pre-opts think they know what is going on.

Right. Last I checked PUCO is the leader in sports vision research. SCCO has many ongoing research projects going on right now. Just check their website out. To say they give back next to nothing by means of decent research shows ignorance on your behalf.

Are you also saying that all private schools (not just private OD schools) provide nothing of significance in terms of research because they are private schools?

Last edited:
SCO is a private school, not a public school.

I also thought PCO and Nova were private? Maybe I'm wrong.

Thanks JMU. That further helps my point that private school from a financial point of view is a good way to go!

I find it laughable that for an educated person, you're such an ignorant f*ck. It is possible for pre-opts to know whats going on in the profession they are pursuing. Arrogance must be blinding.

:rolleyes: Adenosine, name calling and personal attacks are childish and gets us nowhere.

I personally disagree w/ a lot of what Indiana says, but still I realize the position we are in. He has far more experience in the field that either of us have, so respect that fact.

Right. Last I checked PUCO is the leader in sports vision research. SCCO has many ongoing research projects going on right now. Just check their website out. To say they give back next to nothing by means of decent research shows ignorance on your behalf.

Are you also saying that all private schools (not just private OD schools) provide nothing of significance in terms of research because they are private schools?

I am talking about significant visual science research. For example, Thibos et al at IU have basically written the book on aberrometry and higher order aberrations. They are known around the world. IU built a new clinic because they ran out of research space. The IU PhDs collect millions of dollars in grant money from the NIH and NEI.

Optometry needs more solid research that gets into the more prestigious journals.

yea, berkeley's prereqs are pretty intense. if you look at the people who got accepted, most are from berkeley itself.