cheap military not using DO skills

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr Sum Day

Lifetime Donor
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello future military D.O.'s,

As some of you know I was in the military, but now I am a military dependent. Anyway, I have degenerative disc disease with chronic back spasms although I've stretched/strengthened to alleviate the pain. It just so happens I obtained this problem shortly after leaving active duty AF to enter a commissioning program in Dec 99.'

Shortly after my bout with severe back spasms, my military PCP drugged me with flexeril, then robaxin (spellings), and finally gave me motrin(helps some) for pain and so forth. This failed so they sent me to PT, then a chiropractor, back to PT with no results. I eventually had x-rays and an MRI done within this time frame.

Recently, I had a flare-up due to uncertain causes. I wanted to
go to a DO who specializes in manipulation, but I had to see if my military Tricare Prime covered me to see a civilian D.O. The Tricare insurance people told me I had to get a referral from the military PCP. Then, I had to coordinate my appointments set-ups with the Tricare office within the same building as my PCP. Finally, I could get some reimburstments using the D.O. receipt with codes for insurance purposes. They didn't know what percent I would get back from Tricare.

I called the appointment desk and they set me up with a PA for the same day. I told the PA what I wanted to do and so forth. She made one comment I didn't like--something in the effect of not taking the motrin consistently. I said, "It's not a solution to the problem." She says, "There is no solution because you have degen. disc. disease." I do agree with the comment, but I expect medical folks to understand that some people don't want to live on drugs. If it wasn't for my excellent military bearing, I would have spouted, "I don't want to live on stinking Motrin for the rest of my life!!!!!!" :mad: If she was not a cold person it would have not irritated me. By the way, I had to see this lady for my wrist before--still just as unfriendly. She says there are DOs and MD's here, but they don't use manipulation. Anway, she mentioned that the Army center has a manipulation type program that could help me. After this fun time, I went to the Tricare office down the hall. The people there told me that I'll be going to PT at the Army facility. I thought, "What the heck?" The Tricare lady then tells me that the program has PTs who has obtained Ph.D's in some manipulation (less than a DO) and other stuff. So, I've decided to try although I wanted a D.O. with more training.
:(

DrZippy and others are in the military, etc. What do you think?

Members don't see this ad.

my advice is to find a DO PCP who is on the TriCare list. I know this might be difficult (I've been out of TriCare for a while and I don't know how a doc search is done anymore). If I recall, I searched for a DO once when I had TriCare and their computer system didn't list the degree that the physician held. So you may have to go through the phone book, weed out the DOs, call them and ask if they take TriCare. Usually they know if they do or don't.

Good luck,

Russell

Members don't see this ad :)
hi dpw! i am active duty af now. i have had a couple of do's offer to do manipulations. you just need to locate an empathetic one. many want and need to practice their skills. we even have a psych resident at wilford hall that has offered to do manipulations. you need to get past the pa for a more educated answer. however, tricare does limit time in appointments. i suggest you talk to physicians in clinic you go to and see if they can change your pcp to a do. it's not completely unheard of once you locate the doc.

cyndi

Hello,

I shadow a DO that is a physiatrist, and they do epidural injection under fluoroscope. I have seen how it has helped a lot of people with the pain. It is not a cure but it helps with the pain. Then he will help them with manipulation. I don't know if you will be able to find a physiatrist that is on tri-care but good luck. :)

trainer911,
It's funny that you mention physiatry. I am a 2nd year DO medical student on the HPSP trying to figure out what I want to do in life. I was recently told by the AF that there is currently no need for PM&R docs in the military. Sure seems like it could help this guy out AND save the Tricare system money in the long run (fewer visits, fewer MRI's, etc.).

Just for the record, TriCare is not the military. It is a government insurance company for military people and their family members of (used to be for retired folks, but I think its been extended to active duty). "TriCare" doctors are usually civilian doctors who have a contract with TriCare. TriCare doctors do not represent what is actually available in the military in military facilities. I hope this clears up some confusion.