Cheap health insurance in the NY/LI area?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bonez318ti

Future Rally Medic
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What are some plans available that an incoming MS1 can qualify for? I'm looking for low premium, high deductible type plans.. anything to minimize my out of pocket expenses.

I pretty much just want risk coverage for catastrophic illnesses.

Unfortunately, there are no transparant way to look up premium quotes. (ie: can't wait until they get to the level where they have a 'priceline' for health insurance)..

This is where you, the fellow reader comes in.. lets make this process more transparent:

Please enter: your State, health insurance company, product name and your specific monthly (or annual) premium, and any possible unique things about yourself that might impact your rate (ie: risk profile, how you get the coverage, ie: through the school, through an employer, or as an individual)

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

you can't just get "catastrophic coverage." It sounds great, and may actually make sense for a young person with no health issues, but your school will actually require that you have real insurance. Oftentimes they will dictate what sort of coverage you need.

are you sure you don't get healthcare coverage provided by your school? My understanding was that it was like that at most med schools, but maybe I'm wrong...

Members don't see this ad :)
velocypedalist said:
are you sure you don't get healthcare coverage provided by your school? My understanding was that it was like that at most med schools, but maybe I'm wrong...

my understanding is that insurance is required by all students. You can obtain the insurance from a private provider or a policy through the school. Note that insurance from the school is not free and is usually around 1500 a year.

pratik7 said:
my understanding is that insurance is required by all students. You can obtain the insurance from a private provider or a policy through the school. Note that insurance from the school is not free and is usually around 1500 a year.

Most schools don't allow going through a private provider...the choices are usually the school's insurance or a parent's/spouse's insurance plan...b/c schools tend to get a better insurance deal if they negotiate that everyone that is not covered under a parent or spouse will be covered under the school's insurance. Private providers for students tends to usually be when the respective school does not have a single insurance provider. (I could be wrong, but this is how it is at my school)