changing residency/government funding

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

peiyueng

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I started an FP residency in 2002. I dropped out half way through.

I am now back in an internshp (transitional year). I plan to go to a psych residency after my internship.

Someone in my internship told me that medicare has a point system. Once you declare a specialty, you get a certain number of points. FP gets 3 points, for example. Surgery would of course get five points.

The kicker is that if you tried to switch from something with fewer points to a program with higher points, Government funding would run out after your 3 points is out.

So, as it applies to me, I am looking for a psych res, which would be three additional years after my internship. Does this mean that my last year would be not funded or funded at 1/2 a point??

I personally have never heard of this point system before today. Does anyone here know how this works? Will I not get funded in my last year of psychiatry? I am kind of worried. I really like psych and I just wanted to know how this point system thing is going to affect me.

sincerley, thax.

Members don't see this ad.