Changing residencies

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Medlou90

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I matched into an IM program and have not had much connection with the program thus far. When I applied, I wanted to stay in a certain city as this is where my significant other lives. Fortunately, I matched in the same city but not at the program that I wanted. The program that I matched is a much smaller hospital with very low volume. Also, I just don’t feel like the education is great at this hospital. I want to stay in the same specialty but change programs. I live in a big city so there are many IM programs in my area. I am a DO, taken only COMLEX, scores were okay (not bad, not great), have research and a publication. My question is, is this possible if I want to stay in the same city? What steps do I have to take to not get penalized by the NRMP? Do I have to go through the NRMP? Any other relevant information would be helpful. Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

It's possible, but not easy. And not without risk

Usually, you would complete the entire PGY-1 year in your current program and then try to transfer as a PGY-2. You could also try to find an open PGY-1 position. As far as the NRMP is concerned, you only are required to stay in your program for 45 days, which will be mid August. You would also need to look at your contract -- it may have rules about how much notice you need to give.

Finding a new spot isn't easy. You'll need to find a program that has an open position that wants to fill it. They will need to be happy with your application. They will want to talk to your current program to assess your performance (probably). Switching programs at the PGY-2 level isn't easy, because you don't know the system / people.

You'll need to tell your current program that you're looking for a new spot (probably). Best they hear it from you rather than someone else. Might they be angry? Possibly. They certainly won't be excited.

If you decide to try to switch as a PGY-2, if the deadline to sign your contract for next year arrives before you have found a spot, you'll need to decide whether to risk not having a position at all.

In general, it's better to find a way to be happy at your current program. But if you're really unhappy, you can try to find a new spot. If you don't find a new spot, your current program will know that you don't really want to be there. That could be difficult.

Reactions: 1 user
It's possible, but not easy. And not without risk

Usually, you would complete the entire PGY-1 year in your current program and then try to transfer as a PGY-2. You could also try to find an open PGY-1 position. As far as the NRMP is concerned, you only are required to stay in your program for 45 days, which will be mid August. You would also need to look at your contract -- it may have rules about how much notice you need to give.

Finding a new spot isn't easy. You'll need to find a program that has an open position that wants to fill it. They will need to be happy with your application. They will want to talk to your current program to assess your performance (probably). Switching programs at the PGY-2 level isn't easy, because you don't know the system / people.

You'll need to tell your current program that you're looking for a new spot (probably). Best they hear it from you rather than someone else. Might they be angry? Possibly. They certainly won't be excited.

If you decide to try to switch as a PGY-2, if the deadline to sign your contract for next year arrives before you have found a spot, you'll need to decide whether to risk not having a position at all.

In general, it's better to find a way to be happy at your current program. But if you're really unhappy, you can try to find a new spot. If you don't find a new spot, your current program will know that you don't really want to be there. That could be difficult.

Thank you for the detailed response! I’m doing my best to make the best of this program. What are the policies for speaking with other programs to see if they have open positions? Do I need to get a waiver with NRMP? How likely do they give waivers for those without severe hardships, illness in the family, or changing of specialties? If a program has a spot open, can they offer it to me outside of NRMP even if they normally participate in the NRMP match? Thank you for your help!

You don't need a waiver from the NRMP as long as you stay in your current program for 45 days. Which is probably next month.

Spots that are not PGY-1 positions starting in July are not in the match.

You don't need a waiver from the NRMP as long as you stay in your current program for 45 days. Which is probably next month.

Spots that are not PGY-1 positions starting in July are not in the match.

Great, thank you for your help. Just to make sure I’m understanding this. There are no restrictions in communicating with other programs if it’s after the 45 day mark?

That is correct, as far as the NRMP is concerned. Your employment contract could have guidelines in it also about how much notice you need to give.

Note that if you contact other programs and your PD hears about it from them rather than from you, that could be an uncomfortable position to be in.

That is correct, as far as the NRMP is concerned. Your employment contract could have guidelines in it also about how much notice you need to give.

Note that if you contact other programs and your PD hears about it from them rather than from you, that could be an uncomfortable position to be in.

Thank you for your help!