Changing letter of recommendation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lsres

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Some programs I have applied to have downloaded some but not all of my letters of reference along with my other information. I am thinking about using a letter from a different person. If I replace a letter that they already downloaded with a new one will the program still have the letter from the first person in their records or will they only see the letter from the later person?

Members don't see this ad.

if they have downloaded it they are gonna see it.

if they have downloaded it they are gonna see it.

Actually, if you read the FAQ section of ERAS it seems to say that if you assign a LOR or PS, but then deassign it and assign a new one, the new one will "overwrite" the old one as long as the program has not yet PRINTED anything.

I'm in the same boat... using a new LOR.

i, too, switched an LOR, but the program hadn't downloaded the orginial one yet.

i, too, switched an LOR, but the program hadn't downloaded the orginial one yet.

This is straight off the ERAS Q&A site:

I deassigned a Personal Statement (or Letter of Recommendation), why was it sent?

When a document is assigned to a program to which you have already applied, you can no longer make changes to that specific document. The document(s) is scheduled for delivery, the same concept as placing the document in the mailbox and mailing it, you would not be able to get it back. If you wish to assign another document in its place, then the program will download both documents. However, the new document will overwrite the old document. Depending on the length of time between the un assigning of the old document and the reassigning of the new document, the program typically will not have access to the old document, unless, they have already printed out a hard copy of that particular document.If you want to make a change, you must de-assign the original document; create a new LoR record or Personal Statement, and assign the new document in place of the old document.