Chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pmarank

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So heres the STATS:
Bio major
3.75 cGPA
3.6 sGPA

No MCAT yet but practice tests indicate that I should be able to hit about a 31

Extra currics:

About 150 hrs volunteering at hospital over summers and breaks
Involved with 3 different clubs on campus (with a leadership role in one)
Illinois resident

I am still a sophmore so this summer I hope to get some shadowing experience. What type of doctors should I shadow? How many hours should I look for? I am also considering dentistry so I hope to also shadow some dentists this summer.

Members don't see this ad.

If you're a sophomore, why oh why are you taking practice tests?

Also, my MCAT score was very different from my practice scores.

Bring up your GPA, and depending on the school you want, get some major research in.

-I'm also an IL resident.

--I did almost no shadowing. I shadowed for about 15 hours total, a pediatrician, an oral/maxillofacial surgeon, and a hospitalist. I emphasized my other ECs more, like working as a CNA/HCT on a Medical floor of a hospital, and as a teaching assistant at my university. My lack of shadowing was barely commented on in just one interview, and I was accepted to that school.
That being said, they did seem to appreciate that I had an idea of what medicine as a field is like, and the lifestyle associated.

Last edited:
So heres the STATS:
Bio major
3.75 cGPA
3.6 sGPA

Extra currics:

Illinois resident

I am still a sophmore so this summer I hope to get some shadowing experience. What type of doctors should I shadow? How many hours should I look for? I am also considering dentistry so I hope to also shadow some dentists this summer.

You should definitely shadow primary care physicians and physicians from other fields so you can get a better understanding of medicine. It seems like you're mind is not fixed on one profession which is understandable since you're in your early academic stage. You should extensively shadow dentists too and see if you really enjoy medicine more or the dental field. I will be upfront with you, if you're looking at a more relaxed time, more days off with a family and easy money then dentistry is probably the path to go. Again you have to decide which you enjoy the most. In my case though clinical experience was essential. Everyone is different but understand that a VAST majority of applicants have either extensive clinical experience or research if not both. You also need community service (working at a homeless shelter, rehab facility etc.), leadership qualities and mentoring qualities to make your application even stronger.

Members don't see this ad :)
Leadership nice, clinical hours great, shadowing (?) - do this.
GPA and sGPA are very nice, and good...and the real MCAT is harder than the practice...

Maybe some non-clinical community service is something you could do?

I think you are right on track though...:luck:

So heres the STATS:
Bio major
3.75 cGPA
3.6 sGPA

Extra currics:

Illinois resident

When applying to med schools, it's a good idea to have an application that will appeal to a braod number of schools, so as to give yourself the best chance and maybe some choices. You have leadership and clinical experience covered. Other categories to consider are shadowing (some schools require this and most expect it), leadership, teaching, research, and nonmedical community service.

Except for shadowing which can be done at the last minute (though I suggest some sooner to help you define your career goals), longevity in an activity counts, so strategize now about what you'll do to create a stronger application.

When applying to med schools, it's a good idea to have an application that will appeal to a braod number of schools, so as to give yourself the best chance and maybe some choices. You have leadership and clinical experience covered. Other categories to consider are shadowing (some schools require this and most expect it), leadership, teaching, research, and nonmedical community service.

Except for shadowing which can be done at the last minute (though I suggest some sooner to help you define your career goals), longevity in an activity counts, so strategize now about what you'll do to create a stronger application.

Hey Catalystik,

Sorry just saw your post. For non medical community service one of my clubs volunteers at the local American Cancer Society. We usually just help them file papers. Does this count? I have also helped run blood drives for the club, does that count? I plan to do research next year hopefully so I expect to have about two semesters by the end of my junior year.

Hey Catalystik,

Sorry just saw your post. For non medical community service one of my clubs volunteers at the local American Cancer Society. We usually just help them file papers. Does this count? I have also helped run blood drives for the club, does that count?
Both activities can be included in that category. Possibly there could be a leadership component, too, if you help to organize others.