Chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

spiff21

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

I'm currently an MS3 at a ranked school with a good ortho department. I just scored a 261 on the Step 1, which of course I'm thrilled about. I have my name on a ortho book chapter, and I'm currently working on a research project that should yield a publication. I scored all honors for the first two years, except for anatomy. I realize that I still have a lot of work to do, but I'm wondering where I stand now. Would I be a competitive applicant at some of the top programs in the northeast and midwest? What else can I be doing now to make myself more competitive (besides working hard in rotations, of course)?

Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Did you just crawl out from under some bridge or something? Please go re-read what you just typed and think about it for a second.

If you need someone to validate your scores, book chapter, and honors get a dog. In other words I think you'll be fine, just don't be a jerk on your aways.

Sorry for asking. I honestly have no clue what it takes to get into a top program, which is why I was asking the question.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey all,

I'm currently an MS3 at a ranked school with a good ortho department. I just scored a 261 on the Step 1, which of course I'm thrilled about. I have my name on a ortho book chapter, and I'm currently working on a research project that should yield a publication. I scored all honors for the first two years, except for anatomy. I realize that I still have a lot of work to do, but I'm wondering where I stand now. Would I be a competitive applicant at some of the top programs in the northeast and midwest? What else can I be doing now to make myself more competitive (besides working hard in rotations, of course)?

Thanks in advance.

:confused:

Sorry for asking. I honestly have no clue what it takes to get into a top program, which is why I was asking the question.

Oh, I think you have a clue. Nice try though.

How can you not have a clue? Did you work on a book chapter, study hard for step1, and do research because you had nothing else to do? Of course not, I believe you know that ortho is competitive, and you did them, like we all did, to increase our chances of matching. So, you have the creds, you know you have the creds. Either you are totally naive and have book smarts with zero practical social awareness, you are insecure, or you are bragging. Be careful on your rotations, don't come across like you did in your post. You can be top-notch on paper, but drop like a stone to the bottom of a rank list by coming across wrong.

Of course I know what it takes to get into an ortho residency, and I understand that I'm a competitive applicant for matching into ortho in general. My question, however, was whether I'd be a competitive applicant at some of the top programs in the NE and midwest. I'm not insecure and I'm not bragging; I honestly don't know what kind of students get into these programs, which is why I was asking. Thanks for all assuming I was trying to be a jackass.

Sorry, dude. Seriously though, if people like you aren't getting into "top" programs, who does? NOBODY! What is left to do besides what you have done? It's kinda obvious. On a less facetious note though, nice work on what you have accomplished.

I think the only thing you need to worry about now is personality. Not to say it's bad, because I certainly don't know. But, programs want someone they will enjoy spending 5 years with, and a bad personality cannot be overcome by a 300 on step I and 50 book chapters/publication.