MD Chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

changedmymind

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello! I plan on applying next cycle (2020 matriculation) and would like to know what people think about what I've done so far activities wise and give some advice regarding what my chances might be.
Undergrad GPA: 3.75
Activities:
disk jockey for college radio for 4 semesters (will be more when I apply)- ~300 hours
medical technologist overnight during college @ large academic medical center ~ 1200 hours
crisis text line volunteer ~ 200 hours by application time
Volunteering at a free clinic w/ patient contact ~ 50 hours
leadership in service organization in my major ~ 100 hours
4 semesters of research in a large cancer research center w/ one pub coming soon ~ 500+ hours
illustrator for science magazine for 4 semesters ~ 100 hours
in the process of getting shadowing and hospital clinical volunteering done- hopefully 50 hours of shadowing and at least 100 of clinical volunteering at the hospital
Also planning to get a year of full time work scribing or medical assisting in my second gap year after I take the MCAT.
I plan to take the MCAT in May of 2019 (I know it's difficult if not impossible to evaluate my chances w/o an MCAT score) BUT it would also be helpful to hear which MCAT score I should GENERALLY be shooting for given what I've done so far (I realize it varies widely depending on where I'm trying to go, but my #1 choice is my top state school)
Please give your most candid evaluations! Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

ECs are strong. More hours with underserved won’t hurt. It just depends on your MCAT tbh but given your MCAT is 510+ you shouldn’t have too much of a problem getting accepted somewhere. 516+ and you can look at some top 30 schools and 518+ you can apply to top 20s freely

Hard to advise without an MCAT score. Even if OP earns a perfect score it might be advisable to apply to some state schools. ECs are fairly good but volunteering is only average.

Shoot for 510+ and get volunteering with the underserved.