Chances

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MDaspiration2020

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Chances for the GEP ?

3.57 cGPA with a positive trend (my final 2 years of UG were 3.76 and 3.92).
MCAT: 501 (127/122/127/125)

ECs:
-Shadowed 2 surgeons, 2 family doctors
- Worked in a family medicine clinic
- Vice president of 3 university clubs
- Lifeguard
- Volunteer at hospital (150 hours)
- Research with no pubs (close to 300 hours)
- Coaching
- International medical trip
- Tutoring
- Mentoring

Members don't see this ad.

Maybe around 50-60% chance of getting in i would say. Your application sits right on the average, some will get in some won't.

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you think retaking my MCAT would be worth it in this situation ?

Do you think you can improve on it a lot? If you didn't spend much time studying for it, its probably worth retaking if you have the time to properly study for it. If you tried your best already or if you retook it you won't be able to devote much time to study for it, then don't bother.

With the MCAT, you really need dedicated study time to do well. Apart from CARS, the rest of the sections are crammable in a sense. So if you can't spend time a block of time to devote to the MCAT, then it might not be worth it.

Do you think you can improve on it a lot? If you didn't spend much time studying for it, its probably worth retaking if you have the time to properly study for it. If you tried your best already or if you retook it you won't be able to devote much time to study for it, then don't bother.

With the MCAT, you really need dedicated study time to do well. Apart from CARS, the rest of the sections are crammable in a sense. So if you can't spend time a block of time to devote to the MCAT, then it might not be worth it.

Thanks for your reply. I could devote 2 solid months to re study for the MCAT. I have a solid science background, it's just CARS that I've struggled with. I just don't want my CARS Score to hold me back and waste another year. Judging from the Atlantic bridge website the range of MCAT of people accepted were 491 to 520. Considering outliers, 501 would be pretty average. However in other threads, people have said that a 28 or 504 would make one competitive which would make a re write necessary

Thanks for your reply. I could devote 2 solid months to re study for the MCAT. I have a solid science background, it's just CARS that I've struggled with. I just don't want my CARS Score to hold me back and waste another year. Judging from the Atlantic bridge website the range of MCAT of people accepted were 491 to 520. Considering outliers, 501 would be pretty average. However in other threads, people have said that a 28 or 504 would make one competitive which would make a re write necessary

If you were to re-write the MCAT, it wouldn't delay your application by a year right? If so, then I would encourage you to rewrite. The AB doesn't specifically value the CARS over the other scores so it shouldn't be that big of a deal, with that being said if you feel like you could improve your overall score then and it doesn't make you wait another year, then i would write it.

If you were to re-write the MCAT, it wouldn't delay your application by a year right? If so, then I would encourage you to rewrite. The AB doesn't specifically value the CARS over the other scores so it shouldn't be that big of a deal, with that being said if you feel like you could improve your overall score then and it doesn't make you wait another year, then i would write it.

The deadline for having your MCAT complete is March since acceptances dont come out until April, so it wouldnt delay the process. Seeing that you got into Mac, do you have any tips for improving CARS ?

The deadline for having your MCAT complete is March since acceptances dont come out until April, so it wouldnt delay the process. Seeing that you got into Mac, do you have any tips for improving CARS ?

I really recommend doing as much practice as you can. It is all about learning how to read passages and identify key and accurate information from them. I would look for all resources both old and new and just keep working at it. CARS is something you can't cram, I wrote the old VR and my score probably improved about 2 points from when I first wrote my diagnostic until when I was about to write my test. So, improvement can be achieved.