This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pattyk16

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a biochemistry major and will be a senior at a top 40 liberal arts school with a 3.87 cum gpa and 3.84 science gpa. I am in an honor society and have earned dean's list every semester. My MCAT scores were: 130 bio/biochem, 124 CARS, 130 chem/phys, and 127 psych/soc = 511 overall (86th percentile). My personal statement is strong and I am positive I have strong letters of recommendation.

I have been the manager of my school's division III hockey team for three years and have been volunteering since feb 2016 but plan to volunteer extensively throughout the rest of the summer and next school year. I have performed research with a world-renowned ALS doctor and will have performed research at school for 2 years + summer by graduation, after completing a thesis. There is a possibility of getting published but I am not certain. I have shadowed 3 doctors, one being a top neurosurgeon that wrote me a letter, and will shadow another doctor in august. I have tutored for gen chem, orgo, and bio.

What are my chances with the list I have? Yes, I have applied to all of these. Claiming IL residency.

Chicago Medical School at Rosalind Franklin University
Loyola University
Northwestern University
Rush University
Southern Illinois University
University of Chicago
University of Illinois

Indiana University

University of Iowa

Medical College of Wisconsin
University of Wisconsin

Saint Louis University

Ohio State University

University of Michigan

Mayo Medical College

Baylor University
McGovern Medical School at Houston
Texas A&M University
Texas Austin Dell
University of Texas Medical Branch at Galveston
Texas Rio Grande
University of Texas San Antonio
University of Texas Southwestern
University of Texas Tech at Lubbock

Pennsylvania State University

University of Rochester

Wake Forest University

Virginia Commonwealth University

University of Miami

University of California, San Francisco

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You should get a decent amount of interviews with that list. Some notes though:
-Southern Illinois heavily favors people from Southern Illinois, if you aren't from there you won't receive much love from there, even if you are an Illinois resident
-Rush has a very big service commitment, the average matriculant had 800+ hrs of clinical volunteering
-Many of the state schools you added don't matriculate that many OOS people, particularly the Texas schools, you need incredible stats/ECs to matriculate OOS to a TX MD school

You would be wise to add some more private MD schools to your list. You might be competitive for:
Boston U
Tufts
Drexel
Jefferson
Temple
Georgetown
GW

buy MSAR and choose schools that fit your stats and matriculate a decent number of OOS people. Good luck!

The Texas schools accept few OOS applicants with your MCAT so unless you have some strong connection to Texas remove those. UCSF is a reach. Consider adding schools such as:
Vermont
Quinnipiac
Albany
New York Medical College
Einstein
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Oakland Beaumont
Western Michigan
Creighton
Tulane