~ Chances with a low GPA but high MCAT for DO??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Colonel

Colonel
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
~10V 10P 10B Q but a GPA of 2.9 and science GPA of 2.7
~One quarter with a 2.1 due to medical emergency
~ Lots of extra curriculars and research but no publications

~ Never shadowed a D.O. either....

??????//

Members don't see this ad.

It's a guessing game, but my guess from what I know (and I'm just a premed like you), is you need a little extra push in your extracurriculars, like a lot of experience, and whatnot.

And you HAVE to shadow a DO, so until you do that, you're chance is 0%

Mastashake

This statement is untrue. I have many friends that have matriculated into DO programs without shadowing a DO. Does shadowing a DO and getting a good LOR help?--yes--Will it reduce your chances to zero if you don't?--no.

Colonel--I think your MCAT is solid and you can explain your GPA, etc... However, some schools have a science GPA cutoff at 2.75 (just a heads up).

I wish you the best.

Members don't see this ad :)
Mastashake said:
It's a guessing game, but my guess from what I know (and I'm just a premed like you), is you need a little extra push in your extracurriculars, like a lot of experience, and whatnot.

Mastashake

only some schools require a DO LOR, or so i hear from other threads. some ask for either DO or MD. i dont know if there are any schools out there where u dont need a LOR from a DO nor MD. does anyone know?

markboonya said:
only some schools require a DO LOR, or so i hear from other threads. some ask for either DO or MD. i dont know if there are any schools out there where u dont need a LOR from a DO nor MD. does anyone know?

Most schools I applied to required a DO letter (MSUCOM didn't) -- I'd highly recommend shadowing a DO -- I was asked whether I had in several secondaries and also asked about it at interviews. I only officially shadowed 1x, which appeared to be enough for me.

Like newbie said, you'll want to see if any of the schools you're applying to have a minimum gpa before applying.

raDiOnut

Colonel said:
~10V 10P 10B Q but a GPA of 2.9 and science GPA of 2.7
~One quarter with a 2.1 due to medical emergency
~ Lots of extra curriculars and research but no publications

~ Never shadowed a D.O. either....

??????//
First, way to go on your MCAT! Like everyone said, spend some time with a DO. I also had a lower GPA (3.01 over all) and a good MCAT (31N...sigh damn w/s). I applied really late but still got 6 interviews out of 8 and three acceptances. Look up a DO, give them a call and you should be allright.