Chances UNE

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CaptainMonkey

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,
what do you think my chances of getting into UNE with a 3.55GPA overrall and a 33MCAT?
Should I think of holding off and waiting till next cycle?
Thanks

The Captain Monkey was here

Members don't see this ad.

where are u from? They tend to prefer people in the northeast region. I got in with a 3.5 gpa and a 27 mcat and i'm from boston. If you are from the northeast, you should be good stats wise...how are your ec's. Have you worked in healthcare at all?

Hey Kumar28,
I'm from Texas. I'm currently doing an internship for the second summer in a row at Baylor College of Medicine. Also, I was just elected president (local) of Alpha Epsilon Delta, the national pre-medical honor society. In addition to research, I aslo work as a radiology tech at a local hospital and as a assistant dialysis tech at a local dialysis clinic.

Members don't see this ad :)
Your "stats" meet and exceed their min. requirements - I'd apply this cycle if I were you. Sounds like you are serious about the medical field and have some solid experience. I reccomend applying to several schools and seeing what happens with interviews and offers - if you've never been to Maine coming for an interview is a way to start! :)

Thanks Kritenoel,
I see you got in. Could you tell me what drew you to that school and what you like most about it? Personally I could go DO or MD, but I have fallen in love with Maine and think its really gorgeous there. What are my chances as a Texas applicant...

Damn, well congrats on getting in,
Take it easy,
CaptainMonkey

capt. monkey...I think your chances are excellent. Just be sure to tell the adcom why Maine is the place for you. Best of luck!

I'm an Oklahoma applicant and I got in, although I remember from the school's application literature that they are looking for people who will potentially practice in the Northeast (which means pretty much anyone once they see how lovely the environment and people of the area are.)

I strongly encourage you to apply, and best of luck to you!

I believe you will definitely get an interview. The rest is up to the admissions staff. I am from TN, therefore I wouldn't worry about your TX residency. In my opinion, if you visit UNE you will love it. I did! You should apply. What do you have to lose... besides $100 (believe me that's just a drop in the bucket). Best Wishes

JJ

the "what drew me to UNE" is something I've written about before - look here to see the high points!

I'm from Maine - grew up about two hours from Biddeford and I went out of state to do my undergrad. If you'd asked me five years ago (as a high school graduate) if I had plans to return here I would have laughed and said "no" (in that very sure of myself 18 year old way). But now I can say that I've had experiences in other states and as much as I've enjoyed them it's good to be "home." I like being close to the ocean and knowing "how to get there from here" and I know there is a need for primary care docs that I can help fill.

A roll-over car accident and omt from my doctor cinched the "going the DO" route. UNE was my top choice school and I'm excited to start this July!

Thanks for the words of encouragement guys. I've been wanting to go DO for a while now...but my father is an MD, and he looked down on me and laughed as I mentioned my interest in Osteopathy. His comment was, "why do you want to settle for less, when I know you can get into an allopathic school." It really sucked. I'm not one to mind the absence of respect or to be looked down upon by allopathic colleauges, I just want to be satisfied with life and feel that I can be a good medical practitioner if I consider the patient as a whole and not just a disease. It's also the reason my major is psychology...people are more than just an ailment.
Take it easy,
Goodluck to all,
CaptainMonkey