Chances & School Selection 25 mcat 3.95 gpa

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

premed13

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

Just wondering what schools I should Apply to. I'm a NC resident. I do plan on retaking MCAT. Took in April and voided, now very burned out for May 31st MCAT. Cannot concentrate on studying so all bets probably DO school.

MCAT: 9 PS, 8 VR, 8 BS
GPA: 3.95

Shadowing, clinical volunteering, 1+ yr research, outside volunteering

Heres list I think I might apply and would like thoughts:
DO:
DMU
AT still
PCOM
Nova
Touro
CCOM
Edward Via if I can get DO LOR
LECOM if I can get DO LOR

MD:
UNC
ECU
Wake Forest
Loma Linda
George Washington
Georgetown
Howard
Morehouse
Loyola
Mayo
St Louis
Creighton
Drexel
Jefferson
Meharry
Virgina Commonwealth
Tulane
Rosland Franklin
Albany Medical
NY medical

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Are you URM? Do you have some other truly exceptional aspect to your application? If not, applying to some of those MD schools will be a waste.

Just at a glance, you are 4 points below the 10th percentile for Mayo, Loyola, and Georgetown, and probably 3+ for many of the others.

Had you been scoring higher on practice tests? Are you confident you can raise it to at least a 28+? OP you have an exceptional gpa and passable EC's but that mcat will sink you if you apply as is. Just my opinion, but I'd encourage you to hold off applying this cycle until/unless you can raise that 25 to a more competitive score. If you apply and are rejected across the board it will only make things that much more difficult for you the second time around.

Don't get your hopes up. I applied with the same MCAT score and similar stats to almost the same schools on your list and got rejected across the board. Didn't apply to DO schools either. I don't know what I was thinking back then. Don't make the same costly mistake!

Members don't see this ad :)
Yay for NC applicants :)

I'm also interested in your MCAT practice tests, etc. How much you are looking to improve with the May 31st MCAT. Keep your head up!

I hope I can get my MCAT 28+ on May 31st. Before I took April 28th MCAT my average was 29ish on TBR practice tests, but the April MCAT was very hard imo and no amount of studying could have prepared for some of those questions.

What do you think about my DO chances with a 25 MCAT because I would rather go to DO school than take a year off.

Does anybody have input on whether I am competitive for DO schools?

from what I've seen on this site, your mcat is right around the range it should be for DO and your GPA is more than good for DO. It's even really strong for allopathic. if you can get your mcat to at least a 28 you should have a very good shot. of course you need good ECs but thats a given

If you can't score at least a 28, I would advice you don't apply to any MD schools. No problem with DO.

I do still want to apply to my state MD schools ECU and UNC to see if I have a shot. Maybe my GPA can balance out my low MCAT for at least ECU. Now I am all into DO school and hopefully I can obtain a DO LOR to increase my chances.

some chance at UNC or WF w/o a 30+ mcat. a lower mcat(26-28) would be fine for DO

I would delete the whole MD school list, except maybe for your state schools if you want to apply (you may have some luck, but don't expect it) and I would add a few more DO schools.

I would delete the whole MD school list, except maybe for your state schools if you want to apply (you may have some luck, but don't expect it) and I would add a few more DO schools.

Yea I plan on cutting out a lot of the MD and adding more DO schools to increase my chances of getting into a DO school. I am just hoping for an interview where I hope I can do well in.