Chances/School list for MD & DO

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Winafy

2+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You should have a good shot at DO's. DO letters aren't necessary, and your stats are good for DO. From what I understand, Nova and UP-KYCOM should be good back-ups to PCOM. I'd say PCOM is a ways harder to get into than those others, partially because they get so many applicants. You might also want to look into adding a few more central or southern DO schools just in case, but I think you'll probably get at least an interview or more from your current list, provided you apply early.

MD is going to be harder just because of the MCAT, but I agree it's worth a shot for you. GW is hard to get into just because of oversaturation of applicants (probably much worse than PCOM), so you may want to see about adding some more schools if you really want to go MD. Also, Morehouse may seem like a good choice based on stats, but the ORM would work against your favor; it's unpredictable in that sense.

Stats are okay for DO, although no improvement on an MCAT retake may raise some eyebrows...that aside, apply to your MD state school and apply broadly to DO schools. Nova is on a bit of a downward spiral for board pass rates (at least for level 1), so thats worth considering if you choose to apply there. I recommend KCUMB, DMU, AZCOM, NYIT, RVU, and Western in addition to your current list.

Members don't see this ad :)
Youre ORM, remove Meharry and Morehouse. Remove FSU if youre not from FL. They rarely accept people OOS.

Reactions: 1 users
I suggest:
MCW (maybe)

Rush (maybe)

Rosy Franklin

Uniformed Services University/Hebert (just be aware of the military service commitment)

Oakland U Beaumont

Loyola

Loma Linda (only if you are SDA or a very devout Christian)

SLU

WVU

U VM

MCW

Creighton

VCU

Your state school(s).

Any DO school. I can't recommend Touro-NY, Nova, Wm Carey, LUCOM, for different reasons. MSUCOM? Read up on Larry Nasser and you decide.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks for the additions. I think I have a fairly decent explanation for the score being the same. I know some secondaries have an option to elaborate on things like that. Would doing so make much of a difference?
Im not sure about that. Goro is much more qualified to answer that question since s/he is a faculty member at a medical school. On one hand, it could be beneficial if you have a very compelling reason. On the other, it could be interpreted as you just making excuses because at the end of the day, no matter what the reason(s), you still scored the exact same cumulatively.

I suggest:
MCW (maybe)

Rush (maybe)

Rosy Franklin

Uniformed Services University/Hebert (just be aware of the military service commitment)

Oakland U Beaumont

Loyola

Loma Linda (only if you are SDA or a very devout Christian)

SLU

WVU

U VM

MCW

Creighton

VCU

Your state school(s).

Any DO school. I can't recommend Touro-NY, Nova, Wm Carey, LUCOM, for different reasons. MSUCOM? Read up on Larry Nasser and you decide.
Who cares - MSUCOM is the arguably best DO school in the country
Curious as to what's wrong with Touro, Nova, and WM Carey...?

Im not sure about that. Goro is much more qualified to answer that question since s/he is a faculty member at a medical school. On one hand, it could be beneficial if you have a very compelling reason. On the other, it could be interpreted as you just making excuses because at the end of the day, no matter what the reason(s), you still scored the exact same cumulatively.
I agree with the excuses part. I'm sure there will be an opportunity to talk about during an interview if brought up.

Thanks for the additions. I think I have a fairly decent explanation for the score being the same. I know some secondaries have an option to elaborate on things like that. Would doing so make much of a difference?

The problem you have is that if something bad happened just prior tot he exam day (or during the exam day...like you getting sick) your judgement comes into question. The MCAT is a career-deciding, high stakes exam, and if one doesn't' have enough wisdom to simply void, and try again, what does that say about the choices they will make as a medical student?

If it was something external, like the computer monitor flickering though out the exam, or construction noise, that's more reasonable, but in cases like that, one has to complaint to the MCAT people.

TLDR, explanations too often end up looking like excuses.

Hey, thanks for the suggestions! When would you say "early" ends? I plan on sending off the primary for DO schools in a week or so. I've already done it for AMCAS application.

Good job on the AMCAS. If you do get in your AACOMAS primaries soon too, then that's pretty early! The AACOMAS cycle tends to run a bit longer than the MD cycle, too, so if you had to submit later like in July, you would still likely be "early". I'd say submitting primaries in August would be considered "on time" for AACOMAS and would be considered late for AMCAS. The earlier, the better, of course. Good luck!

Last edited: