Chances? Put it into perspective for me.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SDDPT

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Stats:
Male
Overall GPA: ~3.1x upon graduation
Pre-Req GPA: ~3.2x upon graduation
Major: Natural Sciences & Mathematics
Minor: Psychology
Observation Hours: ~120 (Acute, Rehab, Behavioral Psych Unit Outpatient)
GRE (Still need to take, assume 1000)

These are some programs I have looked at and would like to apply to.

My GPA is kind of stuck the way it is above due to graduation this upcoming May (I know I missed the Fall cycle, but I really needed to take next year to think about this on a clear mind).

University of North Florida
www.unf.edu/graduateschool/academics/programs/DPT.aspx

University of Pittsburgh
http://www.shrs.pitt.edu/dpt/

Drexel
http://www.drexel.edu/physicalTherapy/programs/dpt/admissions/

Chatham
http://www.chatham.edu/academics/programs/graduate/pt/requirements.cfm

St. Augustine
http://www.usa.edu/StAugustine.aspx

University of Southern Cal.
http://pt.usc.edu/sublayout.aspx?menu_id=52&id=70&ekmensel=568fab5c_52_0_70_2

Emory
http://www.rehabmed.emory.edu/pt/

ECU
http://www.ecu.edu/cs-dhs/pt/admission.cfm

Duke
http://dpt.duhs.duke.edu/modules/cfmdpt_home/index.php?id=1

Touro NY
http://www1.touro.edu/shs/pt/

Duquesne
http://www.duq.edu/physical-therapy/index.cfm

Temple
http://chpsw.temple.edu/pt/home

Members don't see this ad.

I'm from Florida, so I can only relate this to schools from that state. I think, with your stats, it'd be a longshot to get into UNF. My stats are similar to yours with the exception of my GRE being a 1270 and I got into University of Saint Augustine, starting May.

Since you're applying through PTCAS, I would apply to a few schools that you feel like you have a good shot at and a couple of 'reach' schools. Your stats are pretty average( I don't think it helps or hurts that you're a male..but, it was considered an advantage when I applied to OT schools awhile back).If you do well on the GRE, continue to do observation hours, write a good PS, and have a solid interview.

If you have any low prerequisite grades, you could always retake those since you have time before you start your application.

Good Luck!

I'm from Florida, so I can only relate this to schools from that state. I think, with your stats, it'd be a longshot to get into UNF. My stats are similar to yours with the exception of my GRE being a 1270 and I got into University of Saint Augustine, starting May.

Since you're applying through PTCAS, I would apply to a few schools that you feel like you have a good shot at and a couple of 'reach' schools. Your stats are pretty average( I don't think it helps or hurts that you're a male..but, it was considered an advantage when I applied to OT schools awhile back).If you do well on the GRE, continue to do observation hours, write a good PS, and have a solid interview.

If you have any low prerequisite grades, you could always retake those since you have time before you start your application.

Good Luck!

Thank you for the input!

St. Augustine is definitely a school I plan on applying at and I believe I will do it for the Spring 2012 term and just attend there if I get in. I'm from Pittsburgh, however, so the move somewhat scares me. I'm aware my GPA is not competitive but at least makes the cutoffs for most programs. I hope to do well on the GRE and also obtain more observation hours once I graduate (perhaps find a paid internship, considering I will have a degree). What were your GPA stats exactly? If you don't mind me asking. What other programs did you apply/receive interviews at?

Also, does anyone know of any programs that do last 60? My GPA is substantially higher with those stats. 3.5 or so.

Members don't see this ad :)
I can't speak for any of the other programs, but I applied to Emory, Temple, USC, and Chatham. I don't think either of those use the last 60 credits for GPA. I think you should aim for above a 1000, prefer above an 1100, which might help balance out your lower GPA. At some of the schools you mentioned, I think you will have a tough time out competing other applicants, but at others I think you will do just fine if you put together a strong application. I've seen pple on this forum with 3.1 or lower get into Pitt and USC has been known for their GPA forgiveness (aka try to do well on the GRE to make up for it). With your stats I think many places could potentially give you an interview, but if you have time, maybe re-take some classes to help out your GPA.

I should also clarify, when I said they don't use the last 60 credits for GPA, I mean that I'm pretty sure they consider your Cumulative and Pre-req GPA, not just the last 60 credits.

I understand on the last 60. And I am not sure if I can retake any of my pre-req's. At my University it is not allowed if you earned a C or greater as a final grade. You may only retake a course if you fell below a C.

As for the GRE. I plan on doing better than a 1000. I simply meant assume I made the standard.

Speaking of the GRE, is anyone familiar with http://gre.magoosh.com/plans ? I learn best by auditory and visual examples and then trying to re-create it in my mind. So I feel video lessons will be a much more productive way to study for the GRE in my opinion. If anyone can give a review on that software / program that would be great.

I appreciate your advice, though, could you clarify on the schools in which you believe will be more of a stretch versus others?

I am a pretty easy-going person and feel that if I land an interview at any school I should have a fairly decent chance at the school (Hopefully).

Are you applying to start PT school this upcoming fall (2012) or for 2013? I'm assuming the latter, as most deadlines are past for this year.

In any case, with a good GRE score you would have a good shot at an interview at Chatham; I know that they are a little more lenient with their GPA/GRE because of how they rank applicants (Don't know the system, but they basically see if you meet point A, B, and C and then interview to see if you meet points D, E and F...)

Good luck!

Study hard for the GRE and try to get more PT volunteer or paid experiences! Make moves that will enhance your application especially if your grades are falling within the average of other applicants. I have heard that St. Augustine has three start dates per year too which gives you a slightly better chance if you apply for the winter or summer start dates opposed to the fall semester. Good luck!

SDDPT - Personally looking at your stats and not knowing your GRE score I would say Duke and Emory would be a stretch. I was part of the second wave of interviews in December at Emory (can't really speak for Duke, only a guess as I did not apply but I understand they are very competitive) and combined with the first wave of interviews, they only interviewed 28 applicants. At the time I interviewed, they had already received 500+ apps. However, this is looking solely at your GPA. And with that being said, if you put together an all-around strong application, it could significantly increase your chances at either of these schools because for interviews they do look at your entire application and the interview is a way for them to get to know you more in person. I know I sound like i'm going back and forth, but that's because all I can base it on is your GPA, but if you search around on this forum/on the GPA sticky, you'll see that there are many pple with great stats that got denied at certain programs, while some with less stellar stats got interviews/acceptances at some top programs (there's one person in particular who got into a really good program with a 2.9 GPA, it's on the GPA sticky somewhere in the middle). So my point is - if you want to go to a particular school, go for it because you'll never know if you will get an interview or not if you don't try. Focus on putting together a really strong personal statement, get strong LORs, and do well on the GRE and you will have a really good chance at all of those schools. Best of luck

It's difficult to forecast any individual person's chances because it isn't 100% clear how most schools ultimately decide to accept or reject applications besides considering the obvious indicators (GPAs, GRE). Those scores do give you a concrete number that can be compared with others' numbers, but other factors like recommendation letters and interviews make it very difficult to actually know your chances. Stats aren't always the deciding factor too. Someone with high stats can get rejected, and someone with low stats can get accepted...at the same school. All you can do is your best!

I'd maybe apply to 5-10 schools to be "safe" without breaking the bank TOO much.

It's difficult to forecast any individual person's chances because it isn't 100% clear how most schools ultimately decide to accept or reject applications besides considering the obvious indicators (GPAs, GRE). Those scores do give you a concrete number that can be compared with others' numbers, but other factors like recommendation letters and interviews make it very difficult to actually know your chances. Stats aren't always the deciding factor too. Someone with high stats can get rejected, and someone with low stats can get accepted...at the same school. All you can do is your best!

I'd maybe apply to 5-10 schools to be "safe" without breaking the bank TOO much.

This is a great answer.

To the OP, you and I are almost identical with our situation as far as GPA goes.

GPA: 3.2
Prerequisite: 3.1 ish
GRE: 1270 ( quant: 660 verbal: 610 AW: 4) Keep in mind that you'll be taking the updated version of the test.

The thing is, my last 60 gpa is 3.5 and the way USA broke down my prerequisite GPA it also went to a 3.5( which qualifies you for one of their scholarships). I would definitely apply there but keep in mind that they need 4 Letters of Recommendation, two from PTs. Also, If I were you...I'd definitely try to get instate somewhere for cheaper tuition since USA costs about 70k in tuition for the total program(compared to UNF being about 40-45k). Although, It's also accelerated so you will finish 8 months sooner than most other grads, which gives you a way to start paying off your mountain of debt that much sooner.

The school isn't huge and it's next to a few hospitals, but I don't think the move should be too scary for you. Everyone seemed very friendly. I went to a local bar(the night before my interview...to calm my nerves haha) and everyone seemed really laid back and friendly. It's a nice town right on the beach, and the thing that impressed me the most was how the current students presented themselves in a confident and professional manner. It left a very good impression on me.

Anyways, I think you have a good shot to get in there. However, the fall term is the most competitive, followed by the spring and summer.

I hope this helps, best of luck! :xf:

P.S. - I only applied to Saint Augustine. I was planning on applying to UCF,UNF,NOVA, and maybe FAMU. However, I got my invitation to interview in late November..so I cancelled my PTCAS app as I felt that I had a very good chance of getting into USA.

While the number of schools that you have listed seems about right for someone with your stats (I would plan on at least 10 schools if you can afford it), some of these schools will be difficult to get into. I agree with the others that Duke, Emory & UNF will be difficult, but also Pitt (avg. GPA of accepted students is 3.6) and even Chatham's pretty picky about grades. Throw in that Temple the past two years has averaged 1500 applications a year and the fact that Duquesne only has about 5 - 10 openings for students outside of their own undergrads and you may want to think about revising your list. Touro & St. Augustine seem more flexible when it comes to candidate grades, so I think they are good choices. You may want to consider some more schools that don't use PTCAS, especially the private schools, as they get far fewer applicants so less competition. Also, lots of candidates shy away from newly formed programs that are not yet accredited, and as a result they also appear easier to get into. There is some risk there but failure to obtain accreditation seems rare, and many of these schools work out some type of "teach out" arrangement with accredited programs in case things don't work out. If you are careful in picking your schools you will get into a program with your stats, many others on this forum have. Best of luck to you!

Well, if we truly giving you input based on your stats, putting this all into perspective for you and not feeding you a bunch of BS- then I would say Pitt, Southern Cal, Duke are probably long shots and the $$ spent on them with PTCAS would be bettered served on applying to other schools that you will have a more competitive chances of getting admitted. Maybe keep one of those (as someone put it earlier) as a "reach" school. Temple, UNF, Drexel, Chatham, and Duquesne are all tough schools to get into but they are prob worth trying, especially if you compensate for ur GPA with a solid GRE (Im thinking the equivalent of an 1100 or better on the old version), along with a kick @$$ personal statement and a good interview. But the GRE is a tough test, and you shouldnt just assume you can walk in there and get at least an 1000. Its hard for a reason, and i think if you get a 1000 on ur GRE then you did pretty good. Maybe try to retake some classes at a local community college to up the GPA?? Definitely get more observation hours. Just dont get discouraged if some of these schools dont offer you interviews based solely on your GPA. I know its not the only factor in deciding interviews/admissions but it is usually one of the first, if not, the first factor they look at. If you really want to be a PT, then continue to work for it. Perseverance is key in this type of application process. Sorry if this isnt exactly what you were wanting to hear, and i think most people on here would agree with what Im going to say bc most ppl in here are very supportive: we hope you prove us wrong and get into a lot of those schools, but we'd all be setting you up for failure if we lied and told you that you would have no problem getting into all those schools. Best of Luck, truly!