Chances please! 3.2 sGPA, 3.7 cGPA, 503 MCAT, sharp upward trend, Canadian.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NSxortho

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I’m a Canadian resident and have found no luck here with our insane CARS cut offs.

I bombed my first year courses but I picked myself up and never got anything below A after that. Thus, my sharp upward trend:
1st year: 3.1 GPA
2nd, 3rd, 4th year: 4.0 GPA

I have taken the MCAT twice and am planning to write it a third time this summer, I’m dedicating 4 months and aiming for 510+ this time. Note that I’m not applying this year, but next MAY as to apply as early as possible.

MCAT: 494 —> 503 —> ???

I will also be retaking some of the prereq courses that I bombed, which would ideally bring my sGPA up to 3.4.

Assuming that I increase my sGPA to 3.4, and MCAT to ~510, how are my chances for DO?
Also, any MD schools possibly an option for me with such a low sGPA?

Members don't see this ad.

You might be at the borderline for screens at some schools for GPA cutoff at a 3.2 but also you could get some love still at the newer schools. You def have a shot but not guaranteed with those stats aka you arent out of the running. With a 3.4 and a 510 youll be competitive at all DO schools. I dont know know what its like for a canadian resident but thats my 2 cents for anyone here

Yeah, I believe your chances are best at DO schools that have a history of accepting Canadian applicants. There's no chance for MD (you need to have super star stats as a Canadian applicant to stand a chance).

Reactions: 1 users