This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ajzoe_95

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Currently I am a senior at a 4 yr university. Here are the stats

Major: Chemical Eng. switched to Biochem
Overall GPA (w/o recalc): 2.9 ... (w/): 3.1
Scien. GPA: (same as overall)

Gen. chems : A,A,B
Orgo 1,2: B, F, (retake) B
Analytical chem: C
Bio's: A, A, B
Genetic.:C
Physics(engineering): C,C
Pre Calc, Cal.1, Cal.2, Cal.3: A,C,B,B
Mostly A's in humanities/ social science.
*2 semesters left

Extra Curr.'s : collegiate athlete (12-20 hrs week), internship/research at medical examiner's office 2 years, 60+ hrs community service, paid tutor(span/lower level chem)

Most of my C's and F came from my jr. year . Found out I couldn't have kids, abusive relationship, and went into depression. I've wanted to be a medical examiner since I was a kid and have had so much exposure to the field I cant see myself doing anything else. I feel terrible because that one semester really messed me up, but I'm trying to move forward. I know I can specialize in forensic pathology with a D.O but I really want to go M.D. Haven't taken the MCAT yet but would like to know what my chances are? Or other options at least

Members don't see this ad.

What do you mean by recalc? Your best and quickest way would be to retake all C/D/F grades and use the lovely grade replacement offered by DO schools. MD schools do not have this and average retakes instead of replacing. As it stands now a2.9 GPA will probably get you rejected during the auto screen at MD schools. And of course ultimately much will depend on your MCAT!

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile app

Reactions: 1 user
To add to what candbgirl said, I spoke with an admissions advisor at MSUCOM a few weeks back, and if you could get any shadowing experience with a DO, or start attending osteopathic lectures, seminars, or other osteopathy-related events on a semi-regular basis, you could still have a shot at a DO program. She told me that they look for people who want to pursue osteopathy specifically, and have directed their personal learning towards that goal. They want to know you're not just doing it as an allopathic alternative, God knows they get enough applicants who do that already.

If you want to be a medical examiner, would you be willing to consider PA or NP?

Last edited: