Chances of matching?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
sounds like you're on the right track. do well in third year, get to know your faculty and get good letters of recommendation, and perform well on away rotations.

:thumbup:

Members don't see this ad.

Hey Guys,
Seems like this thread is pretty old, but I could really use some advice. I have been set on Anesthesia ever since first year, but I recently completed a urology rotation and loved it. I am a third year at a mid-tier state school with a 231 step 1, top 55% class rank as of now, B's in my first three clerkships so far (psych, neuro, internal), 2 summers of research experience with abstracts and presentations, involvement on campus etc etc. I would say that I am a pretty average medical student, but I feel like i make up for that with personality and the ability to work well with anyone. If I decide on urology I will apply very broadly, but I would like to be in a big city. I am also able to do 2 away rotations during my 4th year.

I dread the thought of committing to Urology and then not matching. Because of this, I am tempted to fall back on Anesthesia. Can someone with experience please let me know what they think?? Thanks a lot.

Hey Guys,
Seems like this thread is pretty old, but I could really use some advice. I have been set on Anesthesia ever since first year, but I recently completed a urology rotation and loved it. I am a third year at a mid-tier state school with a 231 step 1, top 55% class rank as of now, B's in my first three clerkships so far (psych, neuro, internal), 2 summers of research experience with abstracts and presentations, involvement on campus etc etc. I would say that I am a pretty average medical student, but I feel like i make up for that with personality and the ability to work well with anyone. If I decide on urology I will apply very broadly, but I would like to be in a big city. I am also able to do 2 away rotations during my 4th year.

I dread the thought of committing to Urology and then not matching. Because of this, I am tempted to fall back on Anesthesia. Can someone with experience please let me know what they think?? Thanks a lot.

Well, your stats aren't terrible. I would try to get A's on your remaining clerkships. If possible, consider doing 3 away rotations. Your first step should be making an appointment with the urology chair ASAP to realistically discuss your chances and what you need to do to succeed.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys,

another what are my chances post. I am an MS3 at a top 50 med school with:
-243 step 1
- 1st and 2nd year grades were mostly honors and high pass
-3rd year grades: family med, psych, neuro, (all high passes), ob/gyn (pass)
-1 poster presentation and 1 manuscript (first author) in ENT basic science research; 1 urology presentation and working on another.

What are my chances in matching in urology? I am worried that my third year grades aren't up to par to urology standards. I am trying to get back to California, which I know is even harder. So what are my chances in matching anywhere and what about in California?

Thanks guys.

Hey guys,

another what are my chances post. I am an MS3 at a top 50 med school with:
-243 step 1
- 1st and 2nd year grades were mostly honors and high pass
-3rd year grades: family med, psych, neuro, (all high passes), ob/gyn (pass)
-1 poster presentation and 1 manuscript (first author) in ENT basic science research; 1 urology presentation and working on another.

What are my chances in matching in urology? I am worried that my third year grades aren't up to par to urology standards. I am trying to get back to California, which I know is even harder. So what are my chances in matching anywhere and what about in California?

Thanks guys.
your grades sound a lot like mine did. like with anyone else, do well on away rotations and you probably have a decent shot.

not sure about your chances in CA. In general I feel like everyone should apply pretty broadly anyway.

Sorry for another post
Just started M3 year always wanted to surgical subspecialty because I liked the mix of Clinic and Surgery, basically lots of fields in medicine appeal to me but I really like the personality of the Urologists at my home institution
Stats:
Step 1:266
Preclinical Grades- All Honors
Clinical Grades ENT-H
Ortho-NH
Urology-IP
(2 week clerkships)
Havent hit the big rotations yet, but I have
Surgery (6 weeks) and Fam Medicine next (12 weeks)
AOA- hopefully junior year
Research: 1 poster from basic science research in Derm, since i just figured out I like urology alot im hoping to get involved with faculty. I rotate with the program director next week (just by chance)- ive had difficulty getting research in the clinical setting in general ( not much science experience before medical school, stupidly spent my first 2 years of medical school studying so hard for classes and step without getting out there enough)
Top 40 Medical school interms of NIH funding, top 40 Urology program (not sure if either of these mean squat)

What steps should I take next?

Sorry for another post
Just started M3 year always wanted to surgical subspecialty because I liked the mix of Clinic and Surgery, basically lots of fields in medicine appeal to me but I really like the personality of the Urologists at my home institution
Stats:
Step 1:266
Preclinical Grades- All Honors
Clinical Grades ENT-H
Ortho-NH
Urology-IP
(2 week clerkships)
Havent hit the big rotations yet, but I have
Surgery (6 weeks) and Fam Medicine next (12 weeks)
AOA- hopefully junior year
Research: 1 poster from basic science research in Derm, since i just figured out I like urology alot im hoping to get involved with faculty. I rotate with the program director next week (just by chance)- ive had difficulty getting research in the clinical setting in general ( not much science experience before medical school, stupidly spent my first 2 years of medical school studying so hard for classes and step without getting out there enough)
Top 40 Medical school interms of NIH funding, top 40 Urology program (not sure if either of these mean squat)

What steps should I take next?
Hi,
I am IMG. Someone would like to guide me how can i play urology match. I donot know any thing about urology match. Someone told me it is different than other fields.

Hi I'm also late to the game in considering urology. I'm an MS3 and very similar to nymed16 stats wise.

step 1: 237
clinical: ob gyn, internal medicine (high pass). I'm predicting mostly high pass for the rest + 1 or 2 honors.
research: 1 radiology pub first author, 1 ethnic medicine pub first author (for funsies), 1 organic chem pub first author (undergrad). I'm going to bulk this up massively with uro research as soon as I can.
preclinical: slightly above average. 2nd quartile.
I'm not geographically constrained at all. Florida, Texas, Colorado, Utah, Arizona, DC, Maryland, Virginia are all places I'd be happy to match. Rural is fine.

I know I'm going to need to go HAM on the research and meeting urology faculty as soon as possible. What are my chances?

many of the people on this forum are other medical students. don't listen to them. even if your step I score is lousy, if you do a home rotation and your chairman writes on your letter that "this is one of the hardest working and brightest student I have ever encountered. we intend to rank him/her extremely high.", you will secure a spot. Step I will get you your interviews as most places arrange their stacks of interviewees by score. Any program director or chairman that likes you enough to make a phone call on your behalf may get you closer to the top of the queue. Then it's all about your interview. If you don't have any urology research published or even brewing, you better have a damn real interesting life story or be extremely passionate about something.

on the flip side, students with 260+ on step I, AOA with lists of publications that seem cocky, arrogant or socially awkward will get a lot of interviews but are often ruled out immediately. if you are likeable, you will know it from the residents you've worked with. be yourself and you will likely end up where you fit in best. 5-6 years is a long time to spend with a small group of residents. it's important that you fit in (and they fit you!)

just a perspective from somebody who has seen both sides to the application/interview/acceptance process