Chances of matching after failed course, taking a LOA and repeating M1? Brutal honesty please, yet be nice 👍🏻

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Reaction score
As title said, failed a course, no remediation option, LOA to repeat M1

Members don't see this ad.

Sure . You’ll have to work hard , but doable . Good grades, High board scores, research, strong recommendations.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Match rate for FM and IM is like 99-100% depending on your Step 1 (now 2) score. A lot more than 0-1% of applicants fail a course or repeat a year. So, it is definitely possible.

Reactions: 2 users
This happened to a friend of mine. They matched at Harvard. Had to repeat step 2 as well. I'm sharing this so that you know matching is totally possible.

Reactions: 1 user
As others have said very doable. Try to focus on the reasons you failed the anatomy course and use the LOA productively to recharge refresh but also assess what you will do different.

Reactions: 1 user
you definitely shouldn’t post the school here, but I wish there was a way that you could warn others about this school. One failed exam and have to repeat the year??

I consider myself a very good test taker and even I have off days sometimes. Seems very unfair tbh

Reactions: 2 users
It also will depend on the residency and how they look at the remediation. Competitive programs might screen you, but it will depend on your future performance more than anything.

Gosh I hope so, because I took an LOA and repeated 1st year. Now sitting in clinical rotations and I have no doubt I’ll match.

OP, DM me if you want and I’ll expand more about how I turned it around, but I have several classes of alumni above me who repeated and successfully matched.

you definitely shouldn’t post the school here, but I wish there was a way that you could warn others about this school. One failed exam and have to repeat the year??

I consider myself a very good test taker and even I have off days sometimes. Seems very unfair tbh
Failed a course, not an exam.

There's always a backstory to these things.

When I was on faculty at my previous school (an MD school), the policy was fail a remediation and you repeat the year.

OP, are you asking for your friend? Didn't they withdraw?

Anyway, I've had student fail and have to repeat a year and then failed COMLEX I, but they still managed to graduate, and match. She's a PC doc in the Midwest now.

Last edited:
I had a student who I and other faculty tutored personally for hours during anatomy and OMT. I almost told them medicine wasn't for them as they were getting behind. I believe they were allowed to remediate a couple courses. They worked hard, ground it out, and scored 90th %tile on Comlex, matched a good program in a Uni affiliate in their specialty of choice. I was never more proud of a student. " Never give up, ever surrender." Captain Jason Nesmith.

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
You should be able to match somewhere, provided you don’t fail anything else going forward. Maybe not opthamology at Mass General, but IF you do well in the future it’s a minor red flag and shouldn’t stop you anywhere but super competitive programs.