Chances of getting matched into programs outside your school state

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lolaaa

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm an incoming OMS-I and I was wondering whether it's possible to get matched into a program outside your school or rotations state. Like if I did my rotations say in NY, how likely is it to get matched in MI? will I be stuck with the programs in NY mostly?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm an incoming OMS-I and I was wondering whether it's possible to get matched into a program outside your school or rotations state. Like if I did my rotations say in NY, how likely is it to get matched in MI? will I be stuck with the programs in NY mostly?
No one can tell you exactly how likely it is for you match outside of your school or rotation state, there are a lot factors at play, but it's highly likely for you to match out of state because it happens all the time.

Just take a look at the school's match lists for the last couple years and you can have an idea:

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
No one can tell you exactly how likely it is for you match outside of your school or rotation state, there are a lot factors at play, but it's highly likely for you to match out of state because it happens all the time.

Just take a look at the school's match lists for the last couple years and you can have an idea:
thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
it also depends on if you have any ties with that state. Try away rotations out of state you are interested in.

It's easy to apply out of state to the midwest than it is to apply out of state to the coast. If your goal is to match in MI for residency which is known for being DO friendly you'll be fine pending you have the appropriate credentials. Likewise doing aways will help.

Reactions: 1 user
It's easy to apply out of state to the midwest than it is to apply out of state to the coast. If your goal is to match in MI for residency which is known for being DO friendly you'll be fine pending you have the appropriate credentials. Likewise doing aways will help.
Always can help but also hurt lol

Getting back to DO-friendly states (Ohio, Michigan, Florida, Pennsylvania, upstate New York) will be easier than to less-DO-friendly states, or than to places generally considered highly desirable (California coast, NYC). But you definitely aren’t “stuck” doing residency where you trained in medical school.

Reactions: 1 users
You are not stuck doing a residency in the state you did medical school. BUT, if you are from [name a state], did your undergrad in [same state], and did medical school in [same state], you may have to have some convincing reasons for programs outside of [same state] for WHY you are willing to leave your home state. This can be family reasons, where a spouse is from, etc. Just might help to have some reason.