Chances of Getting into Pharmacy School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sonya123

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I am a Sophomore looking to apply to pharmacy school. I am applying to these pharmacy school in the upcoming month. It doesnt matter to me what pharmacy school i get into. I just hope i do get into one tho.

My cum. gpa is 2.9 and I'm looking to take the pcat and get at least 50th percentile. I volunteered abroad for two months--around 400 hours. I am a devoted leader at my church for the past 5 years. I am wondering if anyone has got into these schools with the stats that i have. I am very nervous about this whole process. I'm scared that i will get shot down. What do you guys think my chances are for getting into these school? Please help me out!!

1. Lecom

2. Midwestern University

3. Northeast Ohio Medical University

4. Chicago State University

5. Roosevelt University

Members don't see this ad.

finish undergrad. get better grades then apply

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
is my chance very low?
i heard people getting in with 2.9s

Please someone help me out with my situation

You just have so much room to improve by completing your degree then applying and increasing your gpa. You want to send the best possible app that you can. From what I remember reading about people that get accepted to pharm programs without a bacc are extremely strong candidates.

To be competitive with that GPA you will need a lot higher than 50% composite on the PCAT. You will need 90% or higher.

I agree with everyone here. You can certainly improve your application by raising your gpa, a strong pcat score (>90%), completing your bacc degree, and having pharmacy work experience. But a 2.9 gpa and pcat score of 50% is subpar.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

Hello everyone,

I am a Sophomore looking to apply to pharmacy school. I am applying to these pharmacy school in the upcoming month. It doesnt matter to me what pharmacy school i get into. I just hope i do get into one tho.

My cum. gpa is 2.9 and I'm looking to take the pcat and get at least 50th percentile. I volunteered abroad for two months--around 400 hours. I am a devoted leader at my church for the past 5 years. I am wondering if anyone has got into these schools with the stats that i have. I am very nervous about this whole process. I'm scared that i will get shot down. What do you guys think my chances are for getting into these school? Please help me out!!

1. Lecom

2. Midwestern University

5. Roosevelt University

I agree get your degree and try and try to raise your GPA just to make things easier on yourself theoughout the application process. I got into 2 schools Temple and GA-PCOM and my GPA was 2.8 and PCAT 45 but I applied to school twice!!! I think the only reason I got in was because I double majored in undergrad and finished both degree programs.

You have a 2.9 GPA but is there an upward trend? Do you have a reason for having a GPA that's on the low side? Also, you need to score a lot higher on your PCAT to offset your GPA. I was accepted to Midwestern w/a cGPA of 2.8 but I scored high on my PCAT (98 percentile) & I had an upward trend in my grades, as well as a good reason why my GPA was so low during my first couple years of undergrad. I also had 2+ years of full time tech experience at a hospital. If your current grades aren't that good, you should finish your last two years of undergrad, see if you can raise your GPA and go from there.

I have to say my PCAT score was horrible but what helped me out a lot was my GPA and that I have an undergrad degree.
I think GPA is extremely important. I know a lot of schools need a min of 2.5 so it doesn't hurt to try and apply.

So I was at a university and did okay for my first semester in college. The next year was rough I ended up having to work not speaking to my family a lot of personal issues trying to provide on campus and did terrible my next semester gpa less than 1.0 next semester I rushed a sorority and was doing better then things went worse with my family and my grades went terrible again gpa less than 1.0 I got out on academic suspension. I failed classes both semesters only 2 being pre read for pharmacy school chem1 and biology 2 I passed biology 1 great. I transferred to a community college and did great the next semester gpa way over 3.0 I plan to take my pcat this summer as well as retake my chem 1 and biology 2 pre requisites here at the community college. I have been studying and am feeling very confident about my pcat. I want to apply for pharmacy school for the next fall upcoming school year since you only need your pre-read for admission. Should I stay at the community college or go back to a 4year? If I do good on my pcat and retake these 2 classes plus do good on the rest of my pre-read do I still have a chance?

You have a 2.9 GPA but is there an upward trend? Do you have a reason for having a GPA that's on the low side? Also, you need to score a lot higher on your PCAT to offset your GPA. I was accepted to Midwestern w/a cGPA of 2.8 but I scored high on my PCAT (98 percentile) & I had an upward trend in my grades, as well as a good reason why my GPA was so low during my first couple years of undergrad. I also had 2+ years of full time tech experience at a hospital. If your current grades aren't that good, you should finish your last two years of undergrad, see if you can raise your GPA and go from there.
So I was at a university and did okay for my first semester in college. The next year was rough I ended up having to work not speaking to my family a lot of personal issues trying to provide on campus and did terrible my next semester gpa less than 1.0 next semester I rushed a sorority and was doing better then things went worse with my family and my grades went terrible again gpa less than 1.0 I got out on academic suspension. I failed classes both semesters only 2 being pre read for pharmacy school chem1 and biology 2 I passed biology 1 great. I transferred to a community college and did great the next semester gpa way over 3.0 I plan to take my pcat this summer as well as retake my chem 1 and biology 2 pre requisites here at the community college. I have been studying and am feeling very confident about my pcat. I want to apply for pharmacy school for the next fall upcoming school year since you only need your pre-read for admission. Should I stay at the community college or go back to a 4year? If I do good on my pcat and retake these 2 classes plus do good on the rest of my pre-read do I still have a chance?

Try to get seat in Roosevelt University for its best reputation.

Try to get seat in Roosevelt University for its best reputation.
The think that impressed me most about Roosevelt University wasn't the lack of a cafeteria or it's amazing campus located on a giant parking lot. Not even the required fancy Apple computers it requires all students to use or the 47,000 USD a year price tag. It was the fact that it has a DAYCARE on campus for all the single moms. The admissions tried to play up all the woman there go there and if there are any single guys looking to date then "Roosevelt would be the perfect school for you" then i walked by a classroom and saw it was filled with disgusting OLD and OBESE women. So there is that.

Hello everyone,

1. Lecom

2. Midwestern University

5. Roosevelt University

Finish your degree and raise your grades. You can probably get into a private/diploma mill school, but you will incur 200k+ in debt doing so. You also need to train yourself to get Bs and As in undergrad courses/improve study habits or you stand a good chance of failing out of pharmacy school with a mountain of debt.

You didn't mention pharmacy experience....get that. That will help you on your app more than any church or abroad volunteering, and you need some experience to know what you're getting into. Several people in my class dropped out after forced rotations or intern work, and I know several others right after graduation that realized they hate the job....don't be that person.

If you are unable to maintain a B average relatively easily in undergrad, I worry about you surviving in pharmacy....the material isn't much harder, but the amount of material per exam is pretty staggering. Don't feel rushed into it and screw yourself over for the next 20 years. Be patient and good luck

If it's not too expensive I would apply and just see what happens. If you don't get in this year you can always reapply!

I'm finishing up my third year in a top 10 pharmacy school in the US. I was waitlisted, and incredibly lucky to be admitted. I had a 3.9 GPA, an 81 on my PCAT, over 400 hours of volunteer service, and 7 years pharmacy tech experience plus I killed my interview and had kick ass letter of recommendation. The class statistics for my class had lowest GPA of 2.8, lowest PCAT of 47 and only 5 didn't have a bachelors prior to matriculation. I'm sure you can get into a pharm school with the criteria you've posted, but you have to ask yourself if it's really worth it? Considering the NAPLEX pass rate fell to 79% for class of 2016 exam takers, you should really try to improve yourself; if not for yourself then at least for your (potentially) future patients.

I'm finishing up my third year in a top 10 pharmacy school in the US. I was waitlisted, and incredibly lucky to be admitted. I had a 3.9 GPA, an 81 on my PCAT, over 400 hours of volunteer service, and 7 years pharmacy tech experience plus I killed my interview and had kick ass letter of recommendation. The class statistics for my class had lowest GPA of 2.8, lowest PCAT of 47 and only 5 didn't have a bachelors prior to matriculation. I'm sure you can get into a pharm school with the criteria you've posted, but you have to ask yourself if it's really worth it? Considering the NAPLEX pass rate fell to 79% for class of 2016 exam takers, you should really try to improve yourself; if not for yourself then at least for your (potentially) future patients.

Lol

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Current senior getting B.S. in Chemistry.
3.45 GPA
No pharmacy experience except for shadowing
Took the PCAT and got 64 composite with high chem score but low bio score but taking again next week.
I'd say my personal statement is very good and I have great recommendations as well.
I'm nervous about the little experience in pharmacy and little extra-curriculars. I'm applying to six schools all in the southeast.
What's my likelihood of getting into a pharmacy school with these stats/has anyone with similar stats gotten in?

Current senior getting B.S. in Chemistry.
3.45 GPA
No pharmacy experience except for shadowing
Took the PCAT and got 64 composite with high chem score but low bio score but taking again next week.
I'd say my personal statement is very good and I have great recommendations as well.
I'm nervous about the little experience in pharmacy and little extra-curriculars. I'm applying to six schools all in the southeast.
What's my likelihood of getting into a pharmacy school with these stats/has anyone with similar stats gotten in?

Not bad, but I really caution you that you need to have working experience in the healthcare field (preferably as a tech or cashier) before committing. Too many figure out too late that this isn't for them. The PCATs are in line with your GPA, so there's really not a need.