Chances of Getting Into NC Schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

xXVoicesXx

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I'm currently a second year (but junior credits) student studying in North Carolina. I originally started school as a biology major with a pre-med concentration with intents on going to dental school. I didn't do well. I changed my major over the summer to psychology. However, I still want to go into medicine, but more so as a psychiatrist. I realize that I love psychology but I still have strong interest in medicine. I looked into requirements for just medical schools in NC and they're doable, but I'm worried that my previous performance is going to hurt me.

My overall GPA is a 3.2, my science GPA is a 2.3 (one general biology and two general chemistry, both with labs) and I withdrew from one biology.

I have five C's in various classes. My overall performance in school is improving because I have a better grasp on college, the rigor of classes, and how I need to study/approach them.

I still really want to do medicine and I feel like I have some hope but I don't know how strong it is. I still think about going into medicine almost every day and I would love it if I could become a psychiatrist instead of just a psychologist. How likely am I to be accepted to a medical school here in North Carolina if I take the requirements, study for the MCAT, and find a decent internship?

Members don't see this ad.

Yes, your past performance is indeed poor and will require significant improvement if you want to get into a medical school. And yes, if you can score well you can get into one of the NC schools.

That being said please do comprehend what you want to do. If you enter medical school only thinking you'll want to do psychiatry and being generally averse to everything, then you'll find yourself despising it. Medical school is going to train you first to be a physician, and you have to be able and interested in being a physician. Just going it for a single specialty based on your psychology classes is not reason enough. So I recommend you go and shadow some physicians and volunteer in hospitals or clinical setting.

Yes, your past performance is indeed poor and will require significant improvement if you want to get into a medical school. And yes, if you can score well you can get into one of the NC schools.

That being said please do comprehend what you want to do. If you enter medical school only thinking you'll want to do psychiatry and being generally averse to everything, then you'll find yourself despising it. Medical school is going to train you first to be a physician, and you have to be able and interested in being a physician. Just going it for a single specialty based on your psychology classes is not reason enough. So I recommend you go and shadow some physicians and volunteer in hospitals or clinical setting.

It is to my understanding that to become a psychiatrists, you must complete medical school. I'm interested in many aspects of medicine; I just want to eventually focus on the psychological aspect of it.

Hi, I'm currently a second year (but junior credits) student studying in North Carolina. I originally started school as a biology major with a pre-med concentration with intents on going to dental school. I didn't do well. I changed my major over the summer to psychology. However, I still want to go into medicine, but more so as a psychiatrist. I realize that I love psychology but I still have strong interest in medicine. I looked into requirements for just medical schools in NC and they're doable, but I'm worried that my previous performance is going to hurt me.

My overall GPA is a 3.2, my science GPA is a 2.3 (one general biology and two general chemistry, both with labs) and I withdrew from one biology.

I have five C's in various classes. My overall performance in school is improving because I have a better grasp on college, the rigor of classes, and how I need to study/approach them.

I still really want to do medicine and I feel like I have some hope but I don't know how strong it is. I still think about going into medicine almost every day and I would love it if I could become a psychiatrist instead of just a psychologist. How likely am I to be accepted to a medical school here in North Carolina if I take the requirements, study for the MCAT, and find a decent internship?

Campbell university has a medical school that allows retakes and replaces the grade. If you retook science classes you struggled in you would have a good chance at that schools. Other schools would require you to raise your GPA drastically (without the ability to replace grades) and a very high MCAT score.