Chances of getting into Iowa (Carver Medical School)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

researchlover

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Accepted:
cGPA: 3.4
MCAT: 30
IS

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Your friends are right. Iowa sucks to live in for med school because you either have DMU or UofI, and neither gives a lot of preference to their own. You'll get some IS love, but very little. And being that your numbers aren't really even close to their averages, plan on attending elsewhere. It may happen though.

If those are the only schools you are applying to, plan on not getting in. Not to be a dick, but your numbers aren't great and Iowa is hard to get into.

Your friends are right. Iowa sucks to live in for med school because you either have DMU or UofI, and neither gives a lot of preference to their own. You'll get some IS love, but very little. And being that your numbers aren't really even close to their averages, plan on attending elsewhere. It may happen though.

If those are the only schools you are applying to, plan on not getting in. Not to be a dick, but your numbers aren't great and Iowa is hard to get into.

It is cool man. I need the reality check, Thanks for the honesty, even though it does sting a bit. I do really want to go to Iowa. So if I don't make it this year [which is likely], I'll retake the mcat and try again next year. Maybe start studying the mcat now.

Curious, are you also IS at Iowa? It seems you know quite a bit about Iowa. I thought from the stats of IS students getting accepted (1/3), that IA gives a lot of preference for IS. But I guess it is just since the IS applicants are so strong.

It is cool man. I need the reality check, Thanks for the honesty, even though it does sting a bit. I do really want to go to Iowa. So if I don't make it this year [which is likely], I'll retake the mcat and try again next year. Maybe start studying the mcat now.

Curious, are you also IS at Iowa? It seems you know quite a bit about Iowa. I thought from the stats of IS students getting accepted (1/3), that IA gives a lot of preference for IS. But I guess it is just since the IS applicants are so strong.

I am IS in Iowa and I am a U of I graduate. They give some preference, but it isn't a generous state school that other states have. Basically, if your stats are at their average, you are golden. but their stats are really high. I know you want to go there, but their gpa average is like 3.8 or so, so even if you retook the mcat, you would need a 38 to offset your gpa. I recommend that you be realistic, apply properly, include IA, wish for the best, and plan on attending elsewhere. Right now, your stats are low tier MD, high tier DO. If you apply MD broadly, you may have some luck, but without some gpa repair or a killer mcat, it is going to be an uphill battle.

as an anecdote, I am start school at DMU with a few that got rejected from Iowa including one with a 3.7/30 and another with a 3.5/32 both IS apps. like I said, compared to other schools, IA sucks for IS applicants.