Chances of getting into dental school this cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

acd2394

Reaction score
I applied to about 15 schools or so this cycle but I have only gotten one interview. Now that it's October that means my application has been with most schools for almost two months and I have still only heard from the one school. I am starting to get very worried and anxious, especially since even the interview doesn't really mean or guarantee much of anything. Should I consider retaking the exam a third time? Is there even a small chance I'll hear anything about an interview? Anything would be so helpful, I feel so in the dark and stressed.

Date of submission: June 23rd
Overall GPA:3.6
Science GPA: 3.4
Bio-Chem-Physics GPA: 3.4
DAT score (include AA and all sections):
DAT AA - 20, TS - 18, PA - 17, QR- 21, RS-26, Bio-18, GenChem-20, Orgo-16
State of Residence: Florida

Major: Biology, Natural, and Applied Science
Minority?
No
Reapplicant? No
Nontrad? No

Shadowing Experience: General Dentistry, ~820 hours, started in 2016
Volunteering Experience:
350 hours, Peer Leading and Supervising in Biology (A form of group style tutoring, Have recently also taken up biochem and microbiology)
552 hours, Global Learning Oriented Program
294 hours, Predental Society
300 hours, Biology Honor Society
132 hours, ASDA member
6 hours and counting, Soldiers Angels Volunteer
72 hours, PreHealth Advising Office Volunteer
92 hours, Magic Yarn Project
450 hours, Sunday School Volunteer
Employment:
160 hours, Learning Assistant (Zoology)
200 hours, Teaching Assitant (Biology 2)
Just got hired as a campus tutor for 10 hours a week
Research:
Research Volunteer, Research Assistant for a STEM Graduate Education based lab. 2 Presentations and 1 Publication in the process of being published.
Relevant Honors or Awards:
A few scholarships for undergrad, deans list once or twice
LOR type and strength:
Committee Letter, I was told it was strongly in favor but I never saw it
Misc Info/Things not stated elsewhere/Red Flags:

I took the DAT twice. The first time I got a 17 but it's been over 3 years? I think it's not even valid.
School list:

Howard, Lecom, VCU, WVU, Maryland

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I applied to about 15 schools or so this cycle but I have only gotten one interview. Now that it's October that means my application has been with most schools for almost two months and I have still only heard from the one school. I am starting to get very worried and anxious, especially since even the interview doesn't really mean or guarantee much of anything. Should I consider retaking the exam a third time? Is there even a small chance I'll hear anything about an interview? Anything would be so helpful, I feel so in the dark and stressed.
My stats:
DAT AA - 20, TS - 18, PA - 17
BCPM GPA: 3.4 AO GPA: 4.0 Total Undergraduate GPA: 3.6
I have years of shadowing experience, research experience, and volunteer experience.
Fill this out as you haven't provided too much info in your post: ► TEMPLATE: How to Format your WAMC Thread ◄