Chances of getting into a PA program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

unknown1995

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, i was wondering if i can get help regarding my chances of being accepted into a PA program. I messed up my first few semesters in college but stepped it up before i graduated. I really want to become a physician assistant. i planning on taking the GRE after July and will also be taking microbiology in the month of july (confidant ill get an A). I know i can score really good in the GRE, I dont care which PA program i get into, as long as i can get into one. Ill have my personal statement reviewed by professionals .

CHEM 1: W, retake B+
CHEM 2: C+
BIO 1: W, retake C
BIO 2: D, retake B-
Physics 1: W, retake A
Physics 2: A-
Organic Chemistry: F, W, D+, A
Organic chemistry 2: B
Biochemistry: C+
Anatomy and physiology: B
Anatomy and physiology 2: B+

cGPA: 2.7 (about 100 credits)
transfer GPA : 3.3 (about 50 credits)
Resume:
TA for organic chemistry 1 and 2 for a year
Research associate for chemistry department for about 400 hours
Volunteered in a hospital for about 350 hours (shadowed a nurse)
Worked (currently) as a Medical assistant and scribe in a private practice for about 300 hours ( i work with a NP and Doctor)

Also, what are some recommended programs that admit students with lower GPA and look more at experience and GRE.

Members don't see this ad.

There's a way for you to become a provider, but it's going to take a while, and it may not be through becoming a PA. As it stands, you are in a tough spot because of your GPA, and the fact that you have so many credits to your name. Doing well on the GRE isn't going to make much of a difference. Look through the threads, there is a lot of good advice for folks with similar stats.

Your mean sGPA (based on what you provided & not calculating based on quality points) is 2.68, which doesn't convey that you have a grasp of the foundational sciences. Also, if you're looking for programs that give credence towards healthcare experience, then your hours aren't nearly enough. You need to look at the average gpa values & GRE scores for programs to see where you might have a chance; your GRE probably needs to be among the top percentiles to overcome your gpa.

Regarding APPIM's post, yes NP's have greater numbers in some specialties, but PA's have greater numbers in some specialties too (ex. ortho); also, anecdotally there are relatively equal numbers in some specialties (ex. EM).

APPIM in what world do you live in? All PA programs are required to have full time PA faculty. I was never taught by anyone with a "non health related field" bachelors or masters degree.

Please provide some basis to your claims the PA profession will be over in 5 years?