*Chances of acceptance to Premed program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dut99002

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been reading some of the other posters' thoughts on gaining admission to the postbaccalaureate premed programs and have been reading up on the programs themselves at their respective webpages. I am seriously considering making a 180 degree career change and applying med school.

My question is, how will my chances of getting accepted to one of these programs be affected by my undergrad BCPM GPA? It is roughly 2.65 :( ! However, my overall GPA is 3.638 and I graduated from a quality, 4-year institution.

I took only three BCPM classes (chem 101- "c+", chem 105 "c", and bio 101 "a"). Obviously, one's application to a postbach. premed program isn't based solely upon your BCPM GPA, but I know it's very important. Supposing my other application points were strong, would I still have any chance of getting accepted to a tough school (e.g., Penn, Harvard, Virginia, John Hopkins)?

Thanks for your help!

Members don't see this ad.

3.6 should get you in anywhere, BCPM will be a big red flag, but fixable - usually takes 36 hours of science to get pre-reqs done, no worries. Apply to all you wish to go to (high enough GPA to get into any one I can think of) and study hard.

Anywhere? Sweet. But just to be sure, you're talking postbaccalaureate premed programs , right? I'm just afraid that I won't be competitive with my poor science grades.

Yes, the GPA cutoff for most is 3.0 to 3.5