Chances? Non-trad Applicant

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Spurs7

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Will any MD or DO schools consider my app?

1. cGPA:3.012, sGPA:3.35, post-bacc GPA: 3.8, Major: Geology, B.S.
2. Taking MCAT in April, planning to crush!
3. State of residency: TN
4. Race: white
5. Clinical Experience:
Volunteer: 50+ hours volunteering in ER at University hospital.
Non-Volunteer: 1,350+ clinical hours working as Medical Scribe/MA for an internist.
6. Research Experience: just completed research project with a group of physicians who publish 2-3 pubs/year..publication is pending (plan to present before nationals).
7. Shadowing experience and specialties represented: Shadowed three physicians, mainly in OR (20+ hours with each). Orthopedic surgeon (2) and plastic surgeon.
8. Non-clinical volunteering: Volunteered with soccer (futbol) organization in South America during last summer of undergrad.
9. Other EC: 1 year of Collegiate football (injury ended career, but worked with team in the following years). Student Alumni Leadership Council. Student Government (Senator - 1 year). Intramural sports. Fraternity (80+ comm service hrs). Eagle Scout (100+ cumulative service hours).
10. Relevant honors: Certified Medical Assistant
11: Others: Decided to pursue medicine following graduation, and began completing my pre-med reqs (plus Sociology and Biochem for MCAT), and began checking items off the "list". I have worked >full-time while taking my post-bac classes part-time. Have had various jobs throughout college and post-graduation (in addition to scribing). I am currently studying for the MCAT (take in April) and will apply in June. I know MCAT score is major... so planning on crushing!

My GPA should go up a little as I plan to take a few more classes (this semester and into the summer term). I received a B- and C+ in Gen Chem I & II respectively during undergrad, as well as C+ in the Intro Cell Bio course; should I consider retaking any of these?

I have three great recommenders, plus LOR from pre-med council from undergrad univ.

I know of four schools that apparently follow the "32-hour rule" (Michigan State COHM, Wayne State SOM, Boston U SOM, and LSU-NO SOM), where they reference your GPA from 32+ hours of post-bacc coursework instead of your uGPA for non-trad applicants. Does anyone have experience with this rule?

Should I seek an MPH, post-bacc M.S., or any other program before applying? I've been reading this forum for a while now and a lot of you all have helped give me hope! If there are any more ways one might suggest how I can improve my resume to make up for my low uGPA, please let me know--any advice is appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited: