This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Will I be able to get in?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 9 100.0%

• Total voters

medschool410

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
PLEASE anyone with experience in med school admissions way in on this.

First a little about me:

School: UW Madison
Year: Junior
Major: Biomedical Engineering
GPA:~3.5(should be able to raise substantially by graduation)
Other Experience: Undergraduate researcher in stem cell lab/ER volunteer/member of biomedical engineering society

So, I have gotten in a bit of legal trouble since coming to college. The first month of freshman year I was transported to a detoxification center after being found drunk passed out outside. I received an underage drinking citation(civil ordinance violation, noncriminal in madison, WI). A few months later I was almost kicked out of campus housing due to drinking in the dorms. Just recently I received a second, unrelated, drinking citation. I was under the impression that since these offenses were noncriminal(treated like a traffic ticket here) that they wouldn't show up in a criminal background check. After meeting with the dean's office, however, I was shown just what the school is going to have to report to med. schools when they ask about me having any history of misconduct. The file looked something like this (each as separate offenses):

(1) Transported to detox center after being found intoxicated passed out.
(2) Issued underage drinking ticket by uwpd(this was from the detox night just listed as another issue)
(3) Issued written reprimand after drinking alcohol underage in dorm room
(4) Issued underage drinking ticket by uwpd

I know this looks really bad, there is really nothing I can do about any of it at this point. Is there any chance I can still get into med school? Is there anything I can do now to help the situation at all(yes I know I cant get in more trouble)? I have heard the only way med school will really care about this kind of thing is if you show a pattern which clearly I have. Any and all advise and recommendations are welcome but please don't speculate and please don't sugar coat it.

*Would it be a good idea to take a gap year to increase the time between the incidences and the time applying?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I consider myself otherwise very qualified and I feel as though I will do fairly well on the mcat

"Days after writing the MCAT, he awoke in a detox centre, confused and soaked in urine. He knew then, that he was destined for greatness."

Reactions: 1 user
"Days after writing the MCAT, he awoke in a detox centre, confused and soaked in urine. He knew then, that he was destined for greatness."
you're so mean :laugh: plenty of geniuses were raging alcoholics

Members don't see this ad :)
Individually none of these are really that huge of an issue. But the series of them and them occurring repeatedly will at the minimum get noticed and probably raise a few questions. But yes, wait for Goro''s and those in the know's response, that will help you alot more in terms of where you stand.

Last edited:
4 IA's for the same problem is a deal breaker at my school. If the most recent offence is within the last year, I'd be surprised if any school would take a chance.
Years of proven sobriety would go a long way toward reducing fears of EtOH induced harm to self and others.

Reactions: 3 users
4 IA's for the same problem is a deal breaker at my school. If the most recent offence is within the last year, I'd be surprised if any school would take a chance.
Years of proven sobriety would go a long way toward reducing fears of EtOH induced harm to self and others.

The first three were my first year in college and the fourth was the summer between my second and third year. I am on track to take five years to complete my program. If for the third, fourth, and fifth year I keep my record clean will I have any chance in getting in anywhere? If I then take a productive gap year it will be four years of no issues.

Should I get involved with some type of alcohol abuse awareness club/org or would that be too transparent? Is there ANYTHING I could do to help my situation or will I just not be able to get into medical school? If you genuinely believe I wont be able to I would love to hear that now so please don't try to spare my feelings.

I'm not saying you need AA but is there some type of program you can join that will help you make better decisions in this area? Maybe 4 years membership in this type of organization would help. Also from the little you shared about your ECs you might need some community involvement. How about joining a group that talks to college freshmen or even high school students about how stupid choices early on can and will impact your future. How are your clinical ECs? How about shadowing? You have lots to do and lots of time it seems. Hope for good choices in the future and best of luck to you!

I can't sugar coat this: You're going to need more than a gap year. Four IAs in such a short period of time, misdemeanor or not, shows that you don't learn your lessons. We have many more applicants who do.

Only prolonged periods of exemplary behavior, especially with positions of responsibility may salvage your medical career.

Also suggest assessing whether you have an alcohol abuse problem and if so, seek help for it.

PLEASE anyone with experience in med school admissions way in on this.

First a little about me:

School: UW Madison
Year: Junior
Major: Biomedical Engineering
GPA:~3.5(should be able to raise substantially by graduation)
Other Experience: Undergraduate researcher in stem cell lab/ER volunteer/member of biomedical engineering society

So, I have gotten in a bit of legal trouble since coming to college. The first month of freshman year I was transported to a detoxification center after being found drunk passed out outside. I received an underage drinking citation(civil ordinance violation, noncriminal in madison, WI). A few months later I was almost kicked out of campus housing due to drinking in the dorms. Just recently I received a second, unrelated, drinking citation. I was under the impression that since these offenses were noncriminal(treated like a traffic ticket here) that they wouldn't show up in a criminal background check. After meeting with the dean's office, however, I was shown just what the school is going to have to report to med. schools when they ask about me having any history of misconduct. The file looked something like this (each as separate offenses):

(1) Transported to detox center after being found intoxicated passed out.
(2) Issued underage drinking ticket by uwpd(this was from the detox night just listed as another issue)
(3) Issued written reprimand after drinking alcohol underage in dorm room
(4) Issued underage drinking ticket by uwpd

I know this looks really bad, there is really nothing I can do about any of it at this point. Is there any chance I can still get into med school? Is there anything I can do now to help the situation at all(yes I know I cant get in more trouble)? I have heard the only way med school will really care about this kind of thing is if you show a pattern which clearly I have. Any and all advise and recommendations are welcome but please don't speculate and please don't sugar coat it.

*Would it be a good idea to take a gap year to increase the time between the incidences and the time applying?

Reactions: 1 user