Chances in NYS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cmonk313

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
NYS resident, entering senior year of Undergrad in NJ.
Bio major, chemistry minor.
3.6 GPA (but C+ in O-Chem 1 and 2, Biochem and Physics 2)
31 on MCAT
Division 1 basketball player (it's like a full time job)
Shadowing oncologist at NJ hospital for the summer (40 hrs/week for 8 weeks)
Various volunteer work through basketball (coaching clinics, special olympics...)

Interested in MD program at either SUNY Upstate or SUNY Buffalo. What are my chances? GPA is average/slightly above for both programs, but will the C+'s hurt me? Organic chemistry never really clicked for me. :confused:

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

NYS resident, entering senior year of Undergrad in NJ.
Bio major, chemistry minor.
3.6 GPA (but C+ in O-Chem 1 and 2, Biochem and Physics 2)
31 on MCAT
Division 1 basketball player (it's like a full time job)
Shadowing oncologist at NJ hospital for the summer (40 hrs/week for 8 weeks)
Various volunteer work through basketball (coaching clinics, special olympics...)

Interested in MD program at either SUNY Upstate or SUNY Buffalo. What are my chances? GPA is average/slightly above for both programs, but will the C+'s hurt me? Organic chemistry never really clicked for me. :confused:

Thanks.

I'd say it's worth a shot. That MCAT and GPA is really impressive, considering the division 1 basketball. Looks like you have a decent amount of shadowing/volunteering too. Are you looking to apply now for this cycle?

I had a C- in organic chemistry 2, and was able to get in to SUNY Buffalo, which was my top choice school (I'm from Buffalo). Now, I'm just a week and a half away from successfully completing a year of med school.

Yes, I'll be applying to start in the fall '13. Just nervous if I'll get in or not. Congrats and thanks for the reply!

I too, think that you have a shot. Those C's in the prereqs kind of hurt a lot, but overall your stats are pretty good, so I would consider you more or less 'competitive'. Good luck!