MD Chances for US schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Passionfruit1322

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all, I would like to get some feedback on whether I should include some top-tier schools on my application next June. I completed my undergrad majoring in pharmacology and currently I am in my gap year.

cGPA: 3.95
sGPA: 3.95
MCAT: 35 (12/9/14)

Employment/Research:
- 1.5 years in a pathology lab - should have a publication in a high impact journal next year
- 4 months full-time research in biophysics - small-scale poster presentation
- 4 months full-time research in pharmacogenomics - project report and small-scale oral presentation
- 3 months part-time research in applied psychology

Volunteering (clinical):
- clinic assistant at a diabetes center - 1 year
- receptionist at a thyroid clinic - 1 year
- Medical Imaging assistant - 1 year
- Surgical waiting room attendant - 2 months
- Before college: Information desk attendant at a local hospital - 1.5 years

Volunteering (non-clinical):
- Property manager for a relative's apartment - 1.5 years

Teaching/tutoring:
- Tutor/teaching assistant for freshman & sophomore cell biology and organic chemistry - 2 years
- private chemistry tutor for a grade 11 student - 8 months

Physician shadowing: 40 hours

Extracurriculars:
- Director of Public Relations (college chapter of a global business-related organization) - 1 year
- second place at a national-level undergrad science competition
- Before college: Facilitator at a Immigrant&Refugee support group - 2 years; youth council of my church - 1.5 years.

Awards:
- many academic merit-based scholarships ~$12000 total
- undergraduate research awards
- graduation award/medal for being the top student in my program

Hobbies/other:
- I practice a traditional ethnic art form since childhood (10+ years) but it is extremely non-mainstream and most people probably never heard of it.

I am interested in the research opportunities that some of the top schools offer but worried about my current lack of publication. I also feel that my activities/life experiences are weak/non-unique according to the top schools' standards. Should I wait a couple more years before I apply to accumulate more life experiences? Thanks for any inputs/advices/suggestions!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Your stats are stellar. Fantastic GPA, great MCAT.

Lack of publications may cause top school AdComms to pause a bit, but you should be able to strengthen other aspects of your application to show your ability to contribute to the diversity of their student body. The pending publication is a plus. Your ethnic art sounds interesting. Managing a relative's property... not so much. Unless there's a good backstory here, generally that is not considered community-service type volunteer work.

If anything, physician shadowing is a bit on the low side - but two more weeks at that should be more than adequate. Your chances look good; put your best foot forward!

Hi all, I would like to get some feedback on whether I should include some top-tier schools on my application next June. I completed my undergrad majoring in pharmacology and currently I am in my gap year.

Employment/Research:
- 1.5 years in a pathology lab - should have a publication in a high impact journal next year
- 4 months full-time research in pharmacogenomics - project report and small-scale oral presentation

Volunteering (clinical):

Teaching/tutoring:
- Tutor/teaching assistant for freshman & sophomore cell biology and organic chemistry - 2 years

Extracurriculars:
- Director of Public Relations (college chapter of a global business-related organization) - 1 year
- Before college: Facilitator at a Immigrant&Refugee support group - 2 years; youth council of my church - 1.5 years.

Awards:

Hobbies/other:
- I practice a traditional ethnic art form since childhood (10+ years) but it is extremely non-mainstream and most people probably never heard of it.

I am interested in the research opportunities that some of the top schools offer but worried about my current lack of publication. I also feel that my activities/life experiences are weak/non-unique according to the top schools' standards. Should I wait a couple more years before I apply to accumulate more life experiences? Thanks for any inputs/advices/suggestions!

Employment/Research:

Volunteering (clinical):

Teaching/tutoring:

Extracurriculars:

Awards:

Hobbies/other:

I think you'll be fine for applying to some of the more-selective, research-oriented schools.

Comments:
Assisting a releative should not be listed under Community Service/Volunteer. It's fine to put it under "Other" if you feel it adds to your application.

Publications are not essential to consideration when you have substantive Research listed.

Your formal Shadowing is skimpy. Get in at least ten more hours to be at the average.

Your active patient experience is excellent.

Activities prior to HS graduation generally aren't much regarded unless they continued into the college years. There is no rule against listing them, though. Perhaps you could return to involvement with the Immigrant and Refuge Support Group or to an advisory role with the Youth Council?

A unique hobby can help you stand out.

Members don't see this ad :)
Chances outstanding

Employment/Research:

Volunteering (clinical):

Teaching/tutoring:

Extracurriculars:

Awards:

Hobbies/other:

Yes, you should certainly add any schools that you feel you would like to attend. You have the stats and the trappings of a top-tier candidate.

I will agree that you will need slightly more shadowing just because 40hrs is on the lower side.