This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

happyfunmeowmeow

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just got my mcat score back and am pretty disappointed. I only received a 495.
I have good research history and have publications.
Also have good letters of recommendations from doctors and doctor shadowing.
Overall GPA=3.3
sGPA= 3.49

Is there any chance SGU will take me in for 2017 January Semester? I have submitted my entire application except my MCAT so far. I'm sending that in today.
I'm also looking into AUA and AUC, but SGU is my first choice.

Anyone know of anyone else who got in recently with scores similar to mine?

Members don't see this ad.

There's a chance. They're taking anyone with a pulse these days, I've seen people get in with MCATs of 19 and 20 under the old system. What you should really ask yourself is "Should I go to medical school at SGU?" Step 1 is FAR harder than the MCAT in every way, both conceptually and information-wise, so someone with as low of a MCAT as you have is unlikely to fare well. Couple that with your Carib alma mater, and your app is trash before it even sees a PD's desk.

Reactions: 1 users
Hi, thanks for the reply.
Actually for the mcat, I was hoping to do better. On my practice exams I received around 505-506 and was not studying much at all. The day of my mcat, I was tremendously sick (even vomited during the exam few times). I thought I'd get at least above 500, but didn't end up with that. I believe my poor performance was due majorly to my sickness. I didn't end up taking the MCAT again in September and I would like to start med school this upcoming January...so I really just want to make it in to SGU and try my best from there.
Just really hope I will get in.
I'm just so embarrassed with my score even to send it in.

Members don't see this ad :)
I just got my mcat score back and am pretty disappointed. I only received a 495.
I have good research history and have publications.
Also have good letters of recommendations from doctors and doctor shadowing.
Overall GPA=3.3
sGPA= 3.49

Is there any chance SGU will take me in for 2017 January Semester? I have submitted my entire application except my MCAT so far. I'm sending that in today.
I'm also looking into AUA and AUC, but SGU is my first choice.

Anyone know of anyone else who got in recently with scores similar to mine?
Only go Carib as a last choice.I am not sure what a 495 equates to from the old MCAT grading. SGU will be a much harder path, you will need to study 12-14 hrs a day for the first 3 semesters and then hope to achieve an above average STEP 1 and 2. So don't just assume you go to SGU and your in....

Actually for the mcat, I was hoping to do better. On my practice exams I received around 505-506 and was not studying much at all. The day of my mcat, I was tremendously sick (even vomited during the exam few times). I thought I'd get at least above 500, but didn't end up with that. I believe my poor performance was due majorly to my sickness. I didn't end up taking the MCAT again in September and I would like to start med school this upcoming January...so I really just want to make it in to SGU and try my best from there.
If you can do better on a retake, it would be completely and utterly stupid to potentially throw away your future and end up 400k in debt just to go to SGU when you could go DO instead. The numbers speak for themselves.

Charting Outcomes in the Match for International Medical Graduates

http://www.nrmp.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/09/Charting-Outcomes-US-Osteopathic-2016.pdf
Charting Outcomes in the Match for U.S. Osteopathic Medical Students and Graduates

Reactions: 1 users

Bad plan. Retake the MCAT. It's the fastest and easiest part of your application to improve. Starting in the January class won't save you any time overall anyway, most people end up having to wait 3-4 months for clinicals to start in MS3.

Reactions: 3 users
I honestly don't think being sick (even vomiting during the exam) would affect my score that much. It would be distracting and unpleasant but it wouldn't interfere with my thought process. Going from a 506 to a 495 just from being sick during the test? Doesn't add up to me. Why don't you tell us the truth so we can help you? Everyone claims they were sick during their MCAT.

I don't know what to tell you, but that's the truth. It actually was affecting my thought process! I left a few times during the sections as time was running out. So, I also lost some time on sections (which during practice exams, I needed every second I had). I was rushing through to finish up some last questions and barely had time to come back to my marked questions. So I'm assuming that's part of the reason why my score went down; another being the nerves.

I actually have a medical condition where I could have applied to get extra time for the MCAT, but I never had applied for it. Now I'm wishing I had.

I get it, you don't want to put anymore effort into trying to study hard and retake the mcat so you can get into a US program. Yet, you believe you will work hard in medical school once you get there? The way I look at it, you either put the work in now or you're going to have to do it later. Sure Caribbean route looks like an easy path, no mcat hassle and much less of a rigorous selection process so you don't have to work as hard to get into. Even if you make it through the 4 years, you're going to put up a lot more work into finding a residency later. However, your current attitude already tells me you may not make it through basic science on the island, let alone step 1. Your grades and current gpa and mcat will hardly convince anyone that you will be a hard worker in med school. Study hard for your mcat and retake it then apply to US DO or MD. Carribean should only be considered as a last resort, it should not be used as an easy way out.

Reactions: 1 user
Caribbean should really be your last, last resort. Either work hard and take the mcat again or look into smp's with linkage and put in the work to get into a US MD program. Or pick a career path that doesn't require working hard?

What's 495 in the old scale? If it's 23-24, I think OP might have a remote chance at some of the new DO schools...