Chances for post-bacc program?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kevin17ym

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi.
I am becoming a music conservatory senior and I am considering pursuing medicine after graduation. Since my school primarily trains its students to become professional musicians, I do not have much opportunities take pre-med courses or get help from a pre-med advisor.
I am hoping to get into a formal post-bacc program that has a solid linkage programs with medical schools so that I can finish the program in one year and matriculate to medical school immediately.
I have looked in to several post-bacc programs (JHU, Bryn Mawr, Columbia, Goucher, UPenn, Temple, etc...) and most of them required that I turn in a standardized test score (in my case SAT). I am confident that my undergraduate GPA of 3.7 will be more impressive to look at than my SAT score of CR-560, M-700, W-580, totaling 1840. I don't think 1840 is a too bad of a score but my CR and W scores are below 600. I also have volunteered as a public elementary school classroom tutor since freshman year of college for about 4-6 hours a week. As a semi-professional musician, I have won several awards and performances. This coming year, I am planning to begin volunteering in hospitals.I also registered myself for biology and general chemistry at a university through our cross-registration program at my conservatory. I thought if I have some of those science grades before I apply, it will help them see my potentials in sciences better. It's also for a back-up plan of doing informal post-bacc program at Harvard Extension or UC-Berkeley Extension.
I am considering if I should re-take SAT. I didn't really care for my SAT score in high school because I knew I wanted to go to a conservatory and pursue music. Right now, I took a practice test and I am hitting each sections above 650, giving me an overall score of 1950~2000. I don't think I can get an equivalent score on GRE since the Critical Reading section on GRE has a large vocabulary section which is my worst fear.
If I am planning on applying this coming January AFTER I have my Fall Semester grades, and assuming that my GPA will be maintained or raised, should I re-take the SAT? It would be great if I can get comments about each specific programs (JHU, Bryn Mawr, Columbia, Goucher, UPenn, and Temple). How important is the SAT score than GPA to each of these programs? Will (hopefully) my 3.7 GPA be good enough for forgiveness of my SAT score? Any suggestions of other 1-year linkage post-bacc programs out there? What are my overall chances of getting into a 1-year linkage program? I also know that I don't have much health-care related activities, so will it be better to just do a informal post-bacc instead (it will save money but it will take 1 year of classes + 1 glide year)?

Thank you for reading!

Members don't see this ad.

Status
Not open for further replies.