Chances for Ireland in 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ofcourse1

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was told by Atlantic Bridge that I wouldn't have very good chances of getting into an Irish school this year due to the fact that I have an Arts degree with no science prerequisites. So I plan on graduating from university this year and take science courses at a college in Toronto. I have a 3.0 GPA right now which will be at around 3.2 by the time I graduate. And I have a publication coming up and I plan on taking the MCAT this summer. Should I stick to taking science courses at university or should I take it in college? I checked out the college courses in Toronto and one of them offers at a distance learning mode which would be a disadvantage because I need a reference letter from a science/math prof for the application. Any input at all would be appreciated on how I could strengthen my application for 2016 entry.

Members don't see this ad.

Definitely do it at university, it just seems sketchy taking distance learning college courses. I don't know what Atlantic Bridge would think of it, but I would go for the safer option which is to do it at a university in person.

I can't take science courses at my university as they require grade 12 science courses that I should have taken in high school so I'm looking towards postbac programs in the states as an option as well...

Members don't see this ad :)
I can't take science courses at my university as they require grade 12 science courses that I should have taken in high school so I'm looking towards postbac programs in the states as an option as well...

That doesn't make much sense - those post baccs will still require a basic high school level.

1. Take the high school courses via adult learning online, you can whip them out in a few weeks.

2. Take those grades and get into a decent small university and take the science pre-reqs and maybe some other courses for 1-2 years through a general science degree program.

3. Do well on the MCAT.

Reactions: 1 user
It is best for you take university level science courses as your MCAT is 75% science based. This will also help you prepare for the MCAT.

Reactions: 1 user
Wow, how much do you want this opportunity to become a doctor? Its going to be several years of courses before you even go to Ireland which in itself is a risk. In addition, your GPA is not amazing either. I just have to put it out there.

Wow, how much do you want this opportunity to become a doctor? Its going to be several years of courses before you even go to Ireland which in itself is a risk. In addition, your GPA is not amazing either. I just have to put it out there.

I'd add, that perhaps doing 2 years of coursework of missing pre-reqs and doing well on the MCAT - could make the OP in the running for best 2 year schools.

Long road OP.